Anybody Ever???

Decorating By rmbias1 Updated 26 May 2010 , 1:17pm by joaaaann

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:00am
post #1 of 42

Can you or does anyone ever freeze cake batter? If you do how do you store it and thaw it?
TIA

41 replies
kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:27am
post #2 of 42

I have never done it, but I had thought about it also. So, I, too would be very interested in hearing if this can be done and how to go about it. Thanks for posting this.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 42

Is there any reason why you couldn't have indicated in your topic title that you were curious about freezing cake batter instead of Has any ever????

I noticed that you posted this in two different areas and only got one answer. Maybe if you were more succinct in topic title you might get more answers.

I am a newbie learning. I learn from every post. But it is difficult to do a search for a topic and know you have the right thing when the topic title is vague.

And speaking of searching, I have seen this topic come up before. Have you tried to do a search to see what comes up on this topic? There is a number of people who have done this before. Possibly you are not getting much of a response because they have discussed it before.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 42

I freeze it all the time. I move the container to the fridge the night or morning before I need it and let it thaw. I bake my cakes as usual. No difference in the taste or quality of the cake. Hope this helps.

dess1023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dess1023 Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

And speaking of searching, I have seen this topic come up before. Have you tried to do a search to see what comes up on this topic? There is a number of people who have done this before. Possibly you are not getting much of a response because they have discussed it before.

I believe she has the right to ask her question as much as the other members here.

Almost every subject has already been discussed here before but if we all looked only in the search for answers, there would be no interactions and CC would be the most boring place to be.

LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 42

I didn't say she didn't have the right. This is a free country. icon_lol.gif Just like you have the right to express your opinion about my answer.

But sometimes you ask a question and don't get the answer in the time you need it. If she had searched for it, she would have gotten an answer quicker.

And yes CC would be boring without interaction. But getting the same question asked over and over makes it just as boring too.,

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 42

To the OP: Yes, batter can be frozen. I freeze in prepared pans or lined cupcake tins. When ready to bake, preheat oven as usual and place frozen pans of batter into oven...cooking time increases 5-10 minutes (or longer depending on size of pan used). With cupcakes, I freeze them in lined pans until solid. Then, empty the pans of frozen preportioned cupcake batter and place them into labeled containers.

Perfect use of leftover batter when you don't want to bake additional cake at the time.

I haven't yet, but I'd like to see what would happen if I placed several of the preportioned cupcake batter discs into a prepared pan then baking.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 42

I did a search in the forums section on FREEZE AND BATTER (make sure to include the "and").

Everyone seemed to agree that it was fine to freeze batter.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-666298-freeze.html+batter

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-680608-freeze.html+batter

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678903-freeze.html+batter

HTH

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 42

I froze some recently because my DS wanted strawberry cupcakes for his birthday at school and only needed 9 cupcakes! lol (small class)

I also had a random order for a dozen mini strawberry cupcakes (and I NEVER get orders for strawberry cupcakes) 2 weeks later......so I dumped the batter into a tupperware bowl and stuck a piece of wax paper directly on the top of the batter (to avoid freezer burn) and then put the lid on the container getting out as much air as possible.

I took photos of me scooping it out completely frozen and then I baked them (frozen)....they baked up beautifully!! They're not very high domes on them (I did that on purpose though, because I was dipping in poured fondant and wanted just a slight dome not super big over the paper domes)
LL
LL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 42

KHalstead...awesome! just awesome!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 42

Actually, when I see a question that does not have the entire topic asked, I am anxious to see what the subject is about. Sometimes mystery is a good point even though it may not get the OP her answer in a timely manner. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I am also glad I read this thread as I never thought about freezing leftover batter. I too usually end up with leftover batter and have to make a small cake. To this I say Hooray for you how you posed your question. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Is there any reason why you couldn't have indicated in your topic title that you were curious about freezing cake batter instead of Has any ever????

I noticed that you posted this in two different areas and only got one answer. Maybe if you were more succinct in topic title you might get more answers.

I am a newbie learning. I learn from every post. But it is difficult to do a search for a topic and know you have the right thing when the topic title is vague.

You just wasted 5 minutes to reply to this post when you could have been reading posts with less vague topics. Seriously, WTH is wrong with people lately? What is so hard about clicking on a topic, vague or not, and then moving on if it's not something you're interested in? If you can't answer the question or have no interest in it, or have nothing constructive to say, move on. I do it all the time and it's really not that hard.

Sorry for the rant but it just seems like this is happening a lot right now. If people get a snarky answer everytime they post CC will stop growing and nobody wants that.

Topic? I am DEFINATELY going to try this! I'd never even thought about it but it would make things so much easier to just have the batter there ready to go.

LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

You just wasted 5 minutes to reply to this post when you could have been reading posts with less vague topics. Seriously, WTH is wrong with people lately? What is so hard about clicking on a topic, vague or not, and then moving on if it's not something you're interested in? If you can't answer the question or have no interest in it, or have nothing constructive to say, move on. I do it all the time and it's really not that hard.

Sorry for the rant but it just seems like this is happening a lot right now. If people get a snarky answer everytime they post CC will stop growing and nobody wants that.

Topic? I am DEFINATELY going to try this! I'd never even thought about it but it would make things so much easier to just have the batter there ready to go.

Again, the written word is getting misconstrued.

I was not be SNARKY. I suggested it to her so that she could get a timely answer.

Your interpretation of my words was looked at negatively while I was trying to show it in a positive light. And it's my time to waste if I want to. There is a saying that says that if you enjoy wasting time doing something then the time is not wasted. I enjoyed trying to help the OP get a quick answer and give her a suggestion on how she could do it in the future.

Geesh - get over it. Are you the comment patrol police? No.

And that is being snarky.

smokeysmokerton Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 42

No, what you did was piss and moan about the fact that you were wasting your time reading questions you didn't care about because the op was too vague in her title. I assumed that your time must be extremely valuable or else you wouldn't be bitching about something so petty.

"Is there any reason why you couldn't have indicated in your topic title that you were curious about freezing cake batter instead of Has any ever????"

That wasn't snarky? What did you expect her to say, "I forgot how to spell 'cake batter'?" Please. If you're gonna be that way at least own it.

LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

No, what you did was piss and moan about the fact that you were wasting your time reading questions you didn't care about because the op was too vague in her title. I assumed that your time must be extremely valuable or else you wouldn't be bitching about something so petty.

"Is there any reason why you couldn't have indicated in your topic title that you were curious about freezing cake batter instead of Has any ever????"

That wasn't snarky? What did you expect her to say, "I forgot how to spell 'cake batter'?" Please. If you're gonna be that way at least own it.

I am not going to get into a pissing argument with you about two little words. If you don't like my advice to her then I suggest you take your own advice and don't waste your time trying to get me to tell you were right, which you weren't.

It's not my fault that you see everything in your head negatively. I don't have to own up to your vision. I'll stick with what I know in my own head, thank you very much. And see how you are not in it, thankfully, you have no idea what I need to "own up to."

I have no idea what your vision of "being that way" is, nor do I care. You can write the next message and have the last say, which I bet you like to do a lot. Congratulations for being one of those kind of posters. As for me, I am done trying deal with immaturity. Say whatever little petty thing you want, I will not be responding. Because that would truly be a WASTE of my time.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:48pm
post #16 of 42

rmbias1, please let us know how the batter freezing works for you.

smokeysmokerton Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

I am not going to get into a pissing argument with you about two little words. If you don't like my advice to her then I suggest you take your own advice and don't waste your time trying to get me to tell you were right, which you weren't.

It's not my fault that you see everything in your head negatively. I don't have to own up to your vision. I'll stick with what I know in my own head, thank you very much. And see how you are not in it, thankfully, you have no idea what I need to "own up to."

I have no idea what your vision of "being that way" is, nor do I care. You can write the next message and have the last say, which I bet you like to do a lot. Congratulations for being one of those kind of posters. As for me, I am done trying deal with immaturity. Say whatever little petty thing you want, I will not be responding. Because that would truly be a WASTE of my time.

Clearly I'm not the only one who took it that way, but you already know that because you responded to her, too.

You may not be responding but I'm sure you'll be reading so I'll just say this, people will ask vague questions and they will ask them over and over (and over) so the best advice I have for you is to skip over them. I've already read a thread where you posted basically the same thing you did here. THAT is a waste of time.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #18 of 42

ok folks. i might ask a question on cc and it may be a topic that may have been asked over and answered over. But, the question i asked at that time, was the question i needed answered. how do i know it this question has been asked and answered before? See what i am comming from? and so what is i seem that thread before? Still who wants to go through all those other threads to get to that thread? I am quite sure we all have asked the same questions that have been asked and answered over and over again. We are human.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:31pm
post #19 of 42

KHalstead; That is so cool! I had no idea you could bake frozen batter! They came out great! Thanks for that tip, I will store that one away!

smokeysmokerton Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmo

ok folks. i might ask a question on cc and it may be a topic that may have been asked over and answered over. But, the question i asked at that time, was the question i needed answered. how do i know it this question has been asked and answered before? See what i am comming from? and so what is i seem that thread before? Still who wants to go through all those other threads to get to that thread? I am quite sure we all have asked the same questions that have been asked and answered over and over again. We are human.

Agreed. The search option here is not the easiest to navigate, but there are several extremely helpful posters who have mastered it and will pull links to existing threads to help you out.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #21 of 42

you are right. i believe JAH, i hope i got it (username) right is good at bringing up threads to help. I really appriciate her.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALVARGA

I freeze it all the time. I move the container to the fridge the night or morning before I need it and let it thaw. I bake my cakes as usual. No difference in the taste or quality of the cake. Hope this helps.

ALVARGA- do you remix at all or just use as is??

KHalstead- is that scratch strawberry or doctored mix? Just curious. I am always on the lookout for a good scratch strawberry! If its scratch, would you share?!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #23 of 42

This is great to know! And it's the first I've seen this topic - and I've read a ton of info on here! Somehow I've missed this and will def. put it to use in the future.

Thanks for asking this great question and a big thanks to those that have posted GREAT ANSWERS thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #24 of 42

nah, it's white scratch cake w/ strawberry jello mix added!

princesssalamander Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesssalamander Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #25 of 42

sorry...jello, that's jelly in England, right?? What do you do to add it? I might try this and try freezing the batter left over too as I always seem to have ever so slighty too much!

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #26 of 42

How long can you freeze the batter?
I'm a hobby baker and don't need cakes all the time, so would it be better for me to freeze extra batter or freeze extra cake? Which would last longer?

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #27 of 42

it's this

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/american-kraft-strawberry-flavour-jello-5023-p.jpg

I add the powdered mix in with all my dry ingredients......I don't change anything else!

princesssalamander Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesssalamander Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #28 of 42

Ah, I see, like crystal stuff not the block stuff like I buy for the kids
LL

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:37pm
post #29 of 42

I have always made small cakes with the extra batter, then froze the cakes. But- I think I am going to start just freezing the batter. It just never dawned on me to do that.

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #30 of 42

is that stuff in powdered form or is it already jelly like?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%