Fondant Hats Fell Through The Wires After Delivery?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 24 May 2010 , 2:05pm by hsmomma

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #1 of 11

I hope someone can tell me why this happened but, yesterday i delivered a 2 tier fondant cake with wire graduation hats coming out from the top tier, after about an hour someone told me they had slid down and fallen down the back of cake???? I used piping gel to stick on the end of wire, then stuck it in the fondant ball hat part to let it dry 1 day and a half..it was dry, but after standing on the cake an hour or so ..they dropped..any ideas how to prevent this???

10 replies
Krysten3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krysten3 Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:12am
post #2 of 11

When you go to put them on the wire, use a lighter and hold the end of the wire in the flame for a few seconds and then put your fondant pieces on them. It like melts it and then cools quickly and works awesome! And you don't have to do it early or anything. HTH icon_smile.gif

shannycakers Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:28am
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much! i will try that next time!!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:03am
post #4 of 11

the only thing i can think of is that the weight of them could have pulled them down over time

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:03am
post #5 of 11

after it was delivered where was it stored? Since it was a graduation i'm guessing outside? My guess is that the heat/humidity probably got to it.

shannycakers Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:34am
post #6 of 11

Hi Guys, thanks for your insight..no it was stored in side on the table in air conditioning.. luckily i was still there since it was a family party i knew and i poked a new hole in the cap for it to stay on and soon after it was cut...before it could fall through again.. the hats were pretty small, not sure if the wieght could have been an issue, ...just dont know, picture is in my pics before falling

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 11

I think it could have just been the weight of them, they look pretty big to me! I wonder if you would have used gumpaste if it would have helped? Then they would have been so hard that they never could have slid down again.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 11

Next time use melted chocolate for glue, works like a charm, I learned that from Sharom Zambito.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 11

Hmmm... the hats do look like they may have been a bit heavy. I'm sure they were stable when the cake was at your house, but all the movement and vibration from the delivery probably shook them loose.

I agree that gumpaste would have been lighter. However, if you're going to use fondant (or gumpaste, for that matter) curve the very tip of your wire before sticking it into the item.

shannycakers Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 11

O those suggestions are great! i was freaking out. Thank you all sooo much!!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 11

Instead of sticking the floral wire straight into the hats...next time make a little hook at the end of the wire before pushing the hats (or balls) whatever on. Seems like it holds better that way. Just an idea...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%