Chemical Reaction Between Fondant And Cornstarch?? What?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 8:25pm by Bonnie151

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:23am
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

late to the party but I use cornstarch. Norm may not use it but Colette and Nick Lodge sure do.

Yes they do.

I also agree with Texas_Rose that using cornstarch is a no no when marzipan is in the mix. I've always used cornstarch and probably always will. I never use marzipan so I don't have any issues with it.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #32 of 43

Another thing about powdered sugar vs. cornstarch - powdered sugar helps mend any tiny tears that you get because the ps melts into your fondant. Cornstarch can cause the little tears or make them worse. But, I still use cornstarch most of the time. I have found that since using Fondarific fondant, I have less of either one and rarely ever get any tears or elephant skin.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 12:53pm
post #33 of 43

I had never heard of this. Thanks for posting!

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 1:35pm
post #34 of 43

Fermentation is more likely to occur when covering fruitcakes.

Its not just when covering a marzipan covered cake with sugarpaste, but when using the cornflour to roll out the marzipan itself and then the cornflour comes in contact with the fruit cake, im not quite sure why this occurs with fruitcake in particular but i do know that there can be serious issues when doing it this way...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 10:02pm
post #35 of 43

Very educational thread! I always like knowing the scientific reasoning behind things! thumbs_up.gif

Althought I'm sure if you leave ANYTHING sit out for a week, it will taste "funny"! icon_rolleyes.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 10:24pm
post #36 of 43

Althought I'm sure if you leave ANYTHING sit out for a week, it will taste "funny"! icon_rolleyes.gif[/quote]

very True!! lol icon_lol.gif
Jodi

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 10:34pm
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Very educational thread! I always like knowing the scientific reasoning behind things! thumbs_up.gif

Althought I'm sure if you leave ANYTHING sit out for a week, it will taste "funny"! icon_rolleyes.gif

I beg to differ - I've had my Christmas fruit cakes baked for weeks now, and they will taste nothing but fabulous in a few weeks time thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 10:42pm
post #38 of 43

Oh no not always true--we all leave stuff 'out' for weeks, gum paste work, fruit cakes are 'left out' for months. The last wedding I did I made hundreds of flowers with fondant plus <oh my oh my> cornstarch and we just snacked on the leftovers forever. They tasted like raspberry candies.

Now if a fondanted cake ferments that would be a pure tragedy, but it's never happened to me and I do not use cornstarch in my rolled fondant cakes.

I think it's a good thing to know and to watch out for but I'm not making any changes.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:23am
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I beg to differ - I've had my Christmas fruit cakes baked for weeks now, and they will taste nothing but fabulous in a few weeks time thumbs_up.gif

Aggh, you reminded me that I didn't bake my fruitcakes yet! I'll have to do them the quick (and inferior) way with less soaking time.

My friend's mom was from England and she would start her fruitcakes the year before the Christmas they were for!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:37am
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Aggh, you reminded me that I didn't bake my fruitcakes yet! I'll have to do them the quick (and inferior) way with less soaking time.

My friend's mom was from England and she would start her fruitcakes the year before the Christmas they were for!

We used to have UK members on here who baked their fruitcakes the day after Christmas.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #41 of 43

I saw that same video a while back and was wondering the same thing. I also saw a video by Duff, who recommends using CS. I didn't know who was correct so I decided to stick with PS. Thanks Blakescakes for the info.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 2:25am
post #42 of 43

Interesting thread. Obviously both work, or people wouldn't EVER use CS.... personally, I like PS because it tastes good icon_smile.gif I don't use matts, I just roll and pick up the chocolate fondant with both arms. I have the fancy metal fondant lifters (500.00 set) and they hang on my wall. Don't need them anymore icon_smile.gif I cover 18" cakes this way.... roll, lift and cover.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 8:25pm
post #43 of 43

[quote="MikeRowesHunny]I beg to differ - I've had my Christmas fruit cakes baked for weeks now, and they will taste nothing but fabulous in a few weeks time thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

Definitely! I won't do a fruit cake with less than 6 weeks notice.

Madiera cake is also much better when it gets to sit - many recipes for it have a two week shelf life and the cake only starts to taste really good at the one week mark!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%