Got A Couple Of Questions About My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By bambuf Updated 22 May 2010 , 1:13am by leah_s

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #1 of 4

Hey there friends. icon_smile.gif I am doing my first wedding cake in a couple of weeks for my brother's wedding. I have done many tiered cakes before, but never 4 tiers and just have a few questions.

I am going to do a 14"12"8",6" square stacked cake covered in fondant. What would you recommend I use for my base board. Is one20" square cake drum enough, or do I need to double it? Also, I typically use bubble straws for support in all of my cakes. Will this be enough support for 4 tiers, or should I just get some wilton supports, or something else? I am a bit nervous about this one. I am travelling out of state to make this cake in a kitchen I have never seen. I will be bringing many of my own supplies with me, so I want to be sure I have have all that I need. Any other recommendations or suggestions are very warmly accepted and appreciated! Thanks!

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:02am
post #2 of 4

One 18" drum will be fine. And order SPS, of course, for support.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:06am
post #3 of 4

Thanks leah_s icon_smile.gif I was just looking at the SPS support system, but am kind of unclear as to how it works. Do you have to cut the pillars to size? It looks like it would be a great solution, because I can have it shipped directly to my brother's address, but don't want to be scratching my head when I get there because I don't know how to use it! lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #4 of 4

The whole point of SPS is that you *don't* need to cut the legs. But you have to bake your cake and fill it so that it's either 4" or 5" - the heights of the pre-cut legs. Or you can buy the 9" legs and cut them to any length you want. But t takes a saw to cut them.

You read the tutorial and looked at all the pictures?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%