Frosting Cracks When Cardboard Bows

Decorating By jenni2876 Updated 21 May 2010 , 7:37pm by MessMaker

jenni2876 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenni2876 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 6

I am totally not a professional cake decorator nor do I pretend to be! I took the Wilton class and really enjoy it (and I'm semi OK at it), so I've been asked to make cakes for birthdays, baby showers, wedding showers, and bachelorette parties. I recently bought a 11x15 pan and made a double-layer cake with a buttercream filling/frosting. I was pretty happy with the results. The only problem was that when I went to move the cake, the weight of the cake caused the cardboard base to bow and when I put the cake down on a flat surface again, the frosting on the cake that corresponded with the bowed cardboard cracked slightly. I am assuming I need something sturdier for the base of the cake, but not being familiar with cake decorating enough, I am not sure what that is. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-Jenni

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 6

You're absolutely right. Your cake needs a much sturdier base. For most of my cakes, a single layer of 1/2-inch thick foamboard does the trick. It can support quite a bit of weight.

If you're not keen on the foamboard, just glue 3 or 4 cardboards together.

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with DianeLM, you need more support. I learned the hard way like you when I first started.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 6

I transport this size cake to work many times for birthday celebrations. I usually carry with large cutting board underneath to keep everything stable. Then I can just slide the cake board or box right onto the table, no problems.

I have also purchased a wooden 16" round at Lowe's to use under cake boards. I usually just cover it with foil and ask for it to be returned. Next my hubby needs to make me some plywood squares since I bought a whole new set of square pans icon_biggrin.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 6

Amen SUPPORT.........I go to Home Depot and get 1/2 inch boards cut from plywood just rewrap and reuse. I also use those for tiered cakes that I do, I get like 12-14 16x16 cuts from an 8ft sheet of plywood. They come out to be about 1.00 each that's cheaper for me than those silver styrofoam Wilton boards.

I want to add I get rectangles cut to just tell them your sizes you want. I got one cut big enough to hold a 150 piece sheet cake for a Wedding once.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie51

I agree with DianeLM, you need more support. I learned the hard way like you when I first started.

I too learned this just 1 wk ago...Funny thing is... Mine didnt bow till i went to put it into the box, i stored it on top of a cabinet so my 2 yr old daughter wouldn't get it. as many times as i took it down and put it back up that day it didnt bow, till i whet to put in the box in front of the client.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%