If I Cook My Cake Thursday Night ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 21 May 2010 , 1:03pm by BumbleBakeShop

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:02am
post #1 of 24

Hi all!

If I bake my cake tonight (Thursday), will it be ok until the party at 3:00 Sunday afternoon?

Thank you!

=)

23 replies
aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:33am
post #2 of 24

yes, definitely.. if you make it today, I would freeze and then crumb coat and fill tomorrow and decorate and frost on Saturday.. or maybe even crumb coat on saturday and decorate early Sunday... but not waiting till last minute.. I seem to do that too much and then stress!

Mikel79 Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 24

thx!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 24

You should be fine to bake on Thursday for a party Sunday. I would bake, cool, wrap and refrigerate or freeze the cakes. On Friday or Saturday I'd crumb coat then ice and decorate. I like to refrigerate my cakes overnight after they're iced if the box/container will fit in my extra frig. If not it's also fine sitting out. All my cakes go right into boxes or containers when finished.
Good luck! Do what keeps the stress down. Caking is so much more enjoyable that way!

cakegirl71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl71 Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 24

Glad this question came up.I was just about to post.So what do you wrap the cake in before putting it in the box or do you wrap?

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 24

yes clear plastic wrap does the job. Saran wrap is what I use

cakegirl71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl71 Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 24

Thx!

Mikel79 Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 24

Hi folks!

I wanted to mention that I do NOT fridge or freeze my cakes. I keep it wrapped in a saran type food safe bag inside a cake box.

Am I going to be ok still???

=)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 24

Freezing improves cakes. Truly. You should try it.

When I'm asked if I freeze cakes, I answer, "Well, I certainly TRY to get all my cakes in the freezer at least overnight. If you know what you're doing, freezing improves cake. And I know what I'm doing."

icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 24

I agree with Leah! I found that out by accident a few years ago and now I also try to get all my cakes frozen at least overnight as well!

noni12601 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noni12601 Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 24

does refrigerating and freezing give u same results or is it better to freeze ?

Mikel79 Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 24

I have froze my cakes many times. Maybe "I don't know what I am doing". However, they were always wet and tacky to touch. I will leave them in saran wrap and foil on counter for different amount of times. 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours. Then take out of the wrappers. Let sit at room temp. for up to 3 hours. They were ALWAYS WET. They were always cooked completly.

This was causing me to get those dreaded blow outs. My icing would never stick because they were so wet.

This is why I stopped freezing. Again, "I probably don't know what I am doing??"

Thank you for the help and tips.

=)

mel354 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mel354 Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 24

I'm new to the cake thing, too, and was told by my Wilton instructor that frozen cakes are best. I tried this for my first cake last week and the cake was soft to the touch and super mushy on the bottom. Any advice would be much appreciated!
icon_biggrin.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #14 of 24

Wrap cooled, baked cake in plastic wrap - a couple layers is fine. Don't go crazy. Thaw overnight on a towel or tablecloth-covered table (helps absorb condensation). In the morning, you're cakes should be dry on the outside of the plastic, room temperature, settled, and moist - ready to fill and ice. Works every time - for me.

aprilblack Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 24

I always freeze mine at least overnight. They seem more moist this way!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 24

I always freeze mine also, and have had good luck. I am freezing in a deep freeze not a regular refrigerator/freezer.

Mikel79 Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:29am
post #17 of 24

I also have a deep freezer. Still had problems. Don't know why some folks can and other cannot get the same results. Just like baking a cake, everyone gets a different baking result...???

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #18 of 24

I think the key is letting them thaw completely inside the plastic wrappers. I did dozens of cupcakes last October for a November event and they were frozen for a couple of weeks in plastic wrap and freezer bags. I left them on the counter and thawed them completely. The plastic freezer bag was wet on the outside from condensation but inside the cupcakes were moist and tasted very fresh. Try leaving your cakes out overnight in their wrappers to thaw them out and see if that makes a difference.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #19 of 24

I mentioned that as well, the overnight thing. I think it helps a lot to return the cake/cupcakes to room temp before unwrapping them. Do a test run and try it out. I did that with fondant bow loops once - put a 3-day dried bow loop in the frig, and wrote down the time. Checked it every hour or so. Now I know in MY frig, a fondant bow will hold up at least 4 hours.

When in doubt, test it. All the info from all of us only helps assuming our situations/freezers/refrigerators/batter/humidity/temperature is the same. And it never is!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:48am
post #20 of 24

Mikel I never fridge or freeze either.

How I would do it:

bake and fill thursday. wrap or bag and let settle overnight
friday let condensation dry off and ice and or/deco
saturday deco
party sunday

aprilblack Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:08am
post #21 of 24

Either way at this point, I hope you have started, or youre gonna be a little stressed come Sunday icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:47am
post #22 of 24

Thank you everyone!

Sharon, I don't know you but I sure do love you!!! =)
You have helped me soooo much through your DVD's and replies to my PM's!!

Aprilblack.....I actually don't start my cake until next week. I am just planning out. =)

Thank you again folks!!

=)

aprilblack Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:43pm
post #23 of 24

I thought your cake was for this Sunday and the thread just continued this long icon_smile.gif

BumbleBakeShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BumbleBakeShop Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:03pm
post #24 of 24

Interesting! Glad to learn about this whole "freezing makes cakes better" thing! I will try it. I love CC! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%