How Do I Get This Texture?

Decorating By eatCakes Updated 20 May 2010 , 9:49pm by BailiasCakes

eatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake in the shape of a panama hat in late June, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what might help give me the texture I need. I'll be working with a fondant/candy clay mix (and gumpaste for the brim), and the color I'll be using is a burnt orange. The orange hat in the picture is the one I'll be making, just with a bit deeper orange. This cake is going to get a lot of attention and I want it to be perfect, any help would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif
LL

8 replies
casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 9

I would think you could put a piece of tight saran wrap down and then emboss the hat fabric over it.

eatCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 9

I'm pretty sure they are made of straw. So I don't really know what I would use. icon_sad.gif

kanwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanwal Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 9

You could go out and buy a vinyl tablecloth that has that texture embossed on it. I know they exist because after I tried rolling out fondant on my mother's tablecloth and flipping it over to put the fondant on my cake, I noticed it had a linen like texture to it. I think she bought it at Walmart. Hope it helps!

eatCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:06am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwal

You could go out and buy a vinyl tablecloth that has that texture embossed on it. I know they exist because after I tried rolling out fondant on my mother's tablecloth and flipping it over to put the fondant on my cake, I noticed it had a linen like texture to it. I think she bought it at Walmart. Hope it helps!

That's actually a pretty good idea! My husband suggested the back of my Silpat, but I don't know if it's textured enough to emboss it. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 9

I use fabric all the time to "emboss" my fondant. The fabric store has all kinds of different textures.
Have fun!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 9

I'd get a piece of burlap at the fabric store and use that.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 9

You can also find plastic canvas sheets at most craft stores in many different gauges if what you need is a regular weave pattern - can be washed and sanitized thumbs_up.gif

BailiasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BailiasCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 9

If you are going with buttercream, you can get textures using papertowels. You just have to find the right papertowel. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%