What Kind Of Cake Glitter Looks Like Real Glitter?

Decorating By Tracyj Updated 21 May 2010 , 9:19pm by windemire

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:07am
post #31 of 63

Non-toxic DOES NOT equal edible. Edible is something that is a food based product that is treated by the body like food (digested and broken down). Non-toxic ONLY means that it isn't poisonous and shouldn't be harmful if ingested.

The term "edible" is used differently in different parts of the world. Certain items from the UK are termed "edible", but, in fact, fall in the "non-toxic" category in the US.

HTH
Rae[/quote]

Rae,
According to your definition "edible is somthing that is a food based product that is treated by the body like food (digested and broken down), then fiber would not be considered edible.

According to a study by Ohio State University: "Because of that different configuration, fiber is not digested or used by the body for energy. We simply don't have the enzymes necessary to break down and absorb fiber-type carbohydrates."

I am not commenting on the disco dust, because I do not know all the facts, just pointing out that something can be edible "fiber" and not be broken down or digestible.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:21am
post #32 of 63

Absolutely, Jennifer. I was attempting to categorize and simplify. Had I thought plastic glitter fit into the category of "fiber", I would have mentioned it...................

Fiber isn't digested, per se, but rather often aids in digestion and is generally a plant based product. We accept plants as being in the category of food--and, of course, they fall into the edible and inedible categories, toxic and non-toxic.

I don't thing we generally put ground plastic into the food category and, for the most part, when we talk able "edibles", we're referring to foods.

Sorry for any confusion.
Rae

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:45am
post #33 of 63

Quite frankly, if you poop glitter for a couple of days after eating that stuff, I wouldn't be inclined to use it on cakes. Same for anything that has a ton of food coloring in it. It just doesn't seem like the trade-off of "shiny" on a cake is worth the effect on your internal organs. It can't be good for you.

costumeczar Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:48am
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

I really have appreciated the information shared in this thread, and saved it so that I will have all the info in th future. That is what is so great about this site; it DOES have people who "know it all" and are willing to share that knowledge with the rest of us! icon_biggrin.gif

Just be careful about this...Just because someone says something with authority it doesn't mean it's right. I've seen advice on here that's just flat-out wrong, and when the giver is pressed, they admit that they either didn't have some of the facts, or they haven't been decorating for long, or whatever.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:08pm
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quite frankly, if you poop glitter for a couple of days after eating that stuff, I wouldn't be inclined to use it on cakes. Same for anything that has a ton of food coloring in it. It just doesn't seem like the trade-off of "shiny" on a cake is worth the effect on your internal organs. It can't be good for you.

By the way, if you REALLY like the idea and have a spare $425 laying around.....they have pills for this......although pixie dust is cheaper!! LOL
LL

costumeczar Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #36 of 63

What kind of weird fetish would that address? I guess someone thinks its fun. icon_confused.gif

KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:45pm
post #37 of 63

lol, I don't know......I mean it's not like it's something that you would show everyone you know right?

Hey guys, look what I just spent $425 on!! Isn't it great!!!!????

definitely odd!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:45pm
post #38 of 63

Several years ago, I made wedding favors from the hot pink candy melts. The photographer, loving anything sweet, gathered up all the leftover pink favors.

And ate them. All of them.

And pooped pink for several days.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #39 of 63

A few years ago I made centerpieces for a hockey banquet that featured 7x2 inch round black chocolate hockey pucks. Although they were hollow, they were still pretty darn hefty.

A player ate a whole hockey puck that night

and pooped PURPLE for several days

herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:55pm
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Several years ago, I made wedding favors from the hot pink candy melts. The photographer, loving anything sweet, gathered up all the leftover pink favors.

And pooped pink for several days.

Fruit Loops have the same effect on my kids. The first time I saw that I nearly had a heart attack!!! icon_eek.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:58pm
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

By the way, if you REALLY like the idea and have a spare $425 laying around.....they have pills for this......although pixie dust is cheaper!! LOL

You are a riot!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif LOL

BumbleBakeShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BumbleBakeShop Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #42 of 63

Any advice on how to crush up the disco dust?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #43 of 63

Here is what the website has to say the bonbons are made of:

"The glitter is a combination of sanding sugars and cake colorings that have been around the food industry for years. The "glitter" is actually not glitter at all, but simply a food coloring dust that has absolutely no texture or taste to it.'

I'm thinking disco or pixie dust here from the sound of it. They sure look like it!
Wonder if they know it's non-edible...at least in the USA.
icon_eek.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:48pm
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Well I love cake glitter and will continue to use it. thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #45 of 63

when you eat gold leaf it comes out also, but is used in the food industry. I wonder how 24 K gold plays in as it is not digested or absorbed.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #46 of 63

I read somewhere that gold... the higher the carats... the safer it is to digest... or was it the other way around? hummm no I think that's it

icon_smile.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:37pm
post #47 of 63

The higher the carats the safter to digest. I once ordered salmon that had a thin gold "sheet" overlay on the fish. There was no flavor to the gold, it was just there for the affect. I will say, that was the prettiest salmon I have ever eaten icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:49pm
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksugarchef

Any advice on how to crush up the disco dust?

disco dust is like superfine glitter.....there is no way to get it any smaller than it already is!

tiffani_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffani_1 Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #49 of 63

Dont eat a lot of flamin red hot cheetos.....
Unless you want flamin RED poop.
Just sayin icon_smile.gif

I like disco dust,and I have it in about every color - what I am wondering is if you can mix it with a little alcohol, and airbrush a cake (sparkle your cake) with it, without ruining or clogging up your airbrush.

KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #50 of 63

I wouldn't put it through the airbrush!

BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Here is what the website has to say the bonbons are made of:

"The glitter is a combination of sanding sugars and cake colorings that have been around the food industry for years. The "glitter" is actually not glitter at all, but simply a food coloring dust that has absolutely no texture or taste to it.'

I'm thinking disco or pixie dust here from the sound of it. They sure look like it!
Wonder if they know it's non-edible...at least in the USA.
icon_eek.gif

No, that's not a description of disco or pixie dust. Sounds like sanding sugar ground small with some luster dust added. I've found that re-packaged at a local cake deco shop. What is described will MELT in your mouth or water. Disco & Pixie won't because they're NOT sugar and food coloring.

The only "cake sparkles" that you can grind smaller are the ones you can find supplied by Wilton, Linnea's, etc. that are made of dried gum arabic. You can grind them thru a small tea strainer and if you want to amp up the shine, you can add a bit of Crystal Colors Pearl Dust (FDA approved luster dust=completely edible and non-toxic). If put on a pretty dry surface, they'll stay very shiny. On a wet surface, they melt.

As for gold, it's an element that has been used for centuries to treat arthritis and other joint ailments and to fancy up foods, too. Yes, the it has to be near pure--23K or 24K--to be approved for humans to eat. At lower Ks, you have base metals mixed in with it--lead and other cheap metals--that are unhealthy. In high quantities, it's toxic. It's not easily absorbed by the body and it leaves quickly--it's very heavy. Remember, they use high K gold for fillings in teeth..................

Rae

Rae

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #52 of 63

Rae,

I'm with you about the pixie and disco dusts. But then again i won't use luster dusts or petal dusts anymore either. Once i found an FDA approved alternative I see no reason to use the other things that are on the market. I have switched over to using Crystal colors and find that they are no more expensive then the petal dusts that are on the market.

BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Rae,

I'm with you about the pixie and disco dusts. But then again i won't use luster dusts or petal dusts anymore either. Once i found an FDA approved alternative I see no reason to use the other things that are on the market. I have switched over to using Crystal colors and find that they are no more expensive then the petal dusts that are on the market.

Absolutely! I use the Crystal Colors, too. I recommend them in posts constantly--no less than 2 today. I feel that if an edible option exists--and somebody went to the trouble to get FDA approval--then I'm all for it. Beth and her husband, Ron Parvu, who developed these are wonderful and very helpful.

http://www.sugarpaste.com/catalog/orderPearlColors.htm

Rae

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:05pm
post #55 of 63

http://www.bakeitpretty.com/item_696/Edible-Disco-Dust.htm

I ordered this last week not thinking anything about whether or not it was edible but after reading this thread I went back to the website to see if it is specified and sure enough - clearly stated it is edible.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:47pm
post #56 of 63

I use a thumb grinder to grind those wilton sparkle flakes into tiny pieces....works like a charm! icon_smile.gif

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #57 of 63

"Several years ago, I made wedding favors from the hot pink candy melts. The photographer, loving anything sweet, gathered up all the leftover pink favors.

And pooped pink for several days."

Leah_s, I just find it pretty darn funny that the photographer actually told you about her pink poo poo LOL. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:09pm
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

http://www.bakeitpretty.com/item_696/Edible-Disco-Dust.htm

I ordered this last week not thinking anything about whether or not it was edible but after reading this thread I went back to the website to see if it is specified and sure enough - clearly stated it is edible.

IF you bought what is pictured in the photo with the multiple cupcakes pictured in the link provided, IT ISN'T EDIBLE. It states at the bottom of the description, " *Please note that these dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such. " That is the equivalent of NOT EDIBLE.

IF you bought the Edible Glitter/Sparkles pictured on the blue cupcake in the bottom right of the link above, THEY ARE EDIBLE. They are made of gum arabic, cannot be gotten wet or they melt, and can be ground finer in a tea strainer.

If what you receive is in small pots, clings to the side of the pot & lid, and when spilled out is clearly very tiny round dots, its' NOT EDIBLE. If what you receive is almost see thru and melts when put in water, IT IS EDIBLE.

These 2 things ARE NOT the same product. Cake sparkles have been around for years. Disco/pixie dust is a newer product.

HTH
Rae

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:24pm
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I use a thumb grinder to grind those wilton sparkle flakes into tiny pieces....works like a charm! icon_smile.gif

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a thumb grinder?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #60 of 63

Here is the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I1QEZU/?tag=cakecentral-20

Grinds those flakes into tiny little crystals!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%