Question About Freezing Cakes

Decorating By lam159 Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:20am by catlharper

lam159 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lam159 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone!

I posted a question to a different folder but didn't any responses (which I thought was very odd) so I am trying it here. I am making my daughter's grad cake (the aquarium cake) and wanted to know how long I should or could freeze the cake for? Her party is June 5. If I make a double layer, then I ice the layers together and then wrap in plastic wrap, then freeze, or do I ice the whole cake then freeze it? If it is only a single layer, do I just wrap it and stick it in the freezer? If so, do I need to let it thaw out before icing and decorating or would it be better to do it while the cake is still frozen? I am going to make the sharks from rice krispy treats and wanted to know how far in advanced can I make them and how should I store them?

Thank you in advance!!!!

10 replies
CherylWI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylWI Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 11

I usually freeze mine a couple weeks ahead of time. Once by mistake, my niece's birthday cake was frozen for three months before we ended up using it. It was perfectly fine.

I allow mine to thaw before icing them.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 11

This is information I got from Wilton about freezing cakes, I hope it helps.

1. Cakes can be frozen for up to three months in heavy-duty foil. Cake must be thawed completely before decorating.

2. Iced cakes must be frozen tightly wrapped. When defrosting, keep cake wrapped until completely thawed.

I have frozen uniced cakes, wrapping them in plastic wrap then wrapping them in heavy-duty foil. I defrost them completely, leaving the wrappings on. Once the cake is completely defrosted I take off the wrappings and let the cake sit out for an hour or so before icing it. This seems to help get rid of the moisture that seems to be on the surface of the cake when I unwrap it. I have found if I don't do this my icing doesn't stick to the cake as well.

Sandy

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam159

I posted a question to a different folder but didn't any responses (which I thought was very odd) so I am trying it here.

You posted the question in the other thread only a couple of hours before this one. Most likely that is why you didnt' get a repsponse there yet. Sometimes it takes 24-36 hours for people to get back to a topic, expecially if they only check CakeCentral once a day.

I freeze mine for up to 4 weeks un-iced, then let thaw about 20-30 mins (they will still be a little cold) before I decorate. Depending on the cake I start decorating 1-2 days before delivery.

lam159 Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 11

So if i make her cake now, i should be fine...that's perfect!!! What about if it is a double layer? Does it matter or do you think it would work out better if I freeze them individually then layer it and decorate it? What about the rice krispy treats..has anyone worked with them? Do you know if they can be frozen?

Thank you to everyone!!! Such a big help!!!! icon_smile.gif

lam159 Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 11

I wanted to thank all of those who helped me with my question! I wanted to answer my own question with regards to the freezing of the rice krispy treats...they CAN be frozen for up to 6 weeks...single layer with wax paper in an air tight container.

This is wonderful news!!!! : )

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 11

Hi there,

sorry, didn't see your other thread. I bake and freeze every cake I do. Here is what I do: bake the cakes, let cool completely then torte. I wrap each layer seperately in press and seal wrap, stack the layers on top of eachother and then wrap again as a unit. When I take them out of the freezer I fill and crumbcoat while still frozen and then let them come to room temp (this allows the cake to settle and any filling to "sploosh" out and be smoothed away) and then ice or cover with fondant. I have frozen a cake up to two weeks and it was fine.

lam159 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #8 of 11

Hi Catlharper...

After letting the cake cool completely...you torte it? What is that and how do I do it?

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:48am
post #9 of 11

Torting means that you cut the individual cake layers into two or three separate thin layers, to later "fill", or apply buttercream/fruit filling/other filling of your choice between the layers. There are many ways to torte, starting with your basic large serrated knife, going through levelers such as the Wilton kind, and ending in the most ideal of all levelers, the Agbay. I like to torte my layers and then freeze, since the freezing imparts more moisture to the cake in the long run, and then fill while the layers are still frozen, as it's easy to separate them because I've already torted them. You don't decorate until your cake is thawed, though (though it can be cold, as in chilled), since the condensation will kill your decorating efforts when it collects.

Good luck!

lam159 Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #10 of 11

so let me see if I am understanding and visualizing right...if I am making a double layer cake, i could actually have a 4-6 layer cake depending on how many times i torte it. Is that right? Am I understanding it right? Now I kind of know what crumbcoat is...I probably do and don't realize it...but isn't that like a thin, quick layer of icing? It doesn't have to be pretty...that just goes on the top of the layers...it kind of "catches" the crumbs?

Thank you everyone!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:20am
post #11 of 11

that is correct...a crumbcoat is the coat of buttercream which goes under the final coat of buttercream or fondant. It's thin, catches the crumbs and is usually as smooth as you can get it (especially if you are putting fondant over it) to make it easier to get the final coat to go on smoothly. If you then let your cake rest for 2-24 hours it will have time to crust up as well as settle. At that time you can smooth any filling that may have splooshed out between the layers and then do your final covering of icing or fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%