Fondant Cracking During Delivery

Decorating By CakeComeTrue Updated 17 May 2010 , 4:16pm by CakeComeTrue

CakeComeTrue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeComeTrue Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 3

I have been having problems with my fondant cracking down the side or in the back during delivery. As soon as i pick up the cake to take it to the car, it starts. It's as if the fondant dries and a small crack just turns into a huge crack. I have a wedding cake which I will be traveling 5 hours with and plan to travel with them not assembled but am worried that when I go to stack them that the dry fondant will crack when I stack them...any advise would be super helpful. Could it be my supports? Also, if they do crack, is there a way to cover them up so they aren't as noticeable? thanks for any help,
Lisa from Florida

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 3

what are your cakes sitting on? It sounds like there isn't enough support for the cake (the cake board) so when you move it the cake flexes/moves and then since the fondant is partly dry it is trying to move but isn't as flexible and cracks

CakeComeTrue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeComeTrue Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 3

that was my guess too. I have been using the same system for a couple of years now, but may try using foam core and see how that goes, unless there are other suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%