New Here And Have A Fondant Question

Decorating By AM333 Updated 17 May 2010 , 2:26pm by AM333

AM333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AM333 Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 16

Hello, my name is Ann-Marie and this is my first try using fondant icon_smile.gif

My son is having a birthday party on Saturday and I wanted to make a simple cake with Wall-E on it and purchased some Wilton rolled out fondant. I was wondering if I could color it now and wrap it tightly to use for next weekend? I wanted to try it out before hand and then if need be, then get more. I have been told that the Wilton fondant is not tasty and was thinking of trying to make some, but have yet to find an simple recipe.
Any tips of the trade would be MUCH appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks a million and wish me luck icon_wink.gif

Ann-Marie

15 replies
diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 16

Hi and welcome.....U're right, the wilton fondant is disgusting. U can make Marshmallow fondant, it's very TASTY and kids actually eat it and it's super easy to make. http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm this is the recipe i use.

As far as coloring the Wilton fondant ahead of time, U can do that on the day of.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 16

Wilton has improved the taste of their fondant. It's not my favorite but I would and have used it when I didn't have time to make my own.

Yes it will be fine to go ahead and color it. Actually it's best to color is ahead of time so that your colors can set. If your using Wilton colors (I use mostly Wilton) they seem to darken a little over time.

I would suggest you go ahead and use the Wilton since it's your first time using fondant. It's very good to work with as it's the perfect consistenty. Starting out with the Wilton will give you a good idea of what fondant is suppose to be like so that when you make your own you'll have an idea of how it's "suppose" to behave. thumbs_up.gif

Some will tell you that you can make Marshmallow Fondant (MMF) it's so easy to make and so good. But the truth is that it isn't consistent and I have never had good results with it even after trying it several times. Anyway for your first fondant cake I certainly would not recommend it.

Good luck. icon_smile.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 16

Flavor it with a little Lorann oil. I only use Fondx or Satin Ice but I even flavor those to match or compliment my BC underneath.

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmom

Hi and welcome.....U're right, the wilton fondant is disgusting. U can make Marshmallow fondant, it's very TASTY and kids actually eat it and it's super easy to make. http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm this is the recipe i use.

As far as coloring the Wilton fondant ahead of time, U can do that on the day of.

I'm going to disagree with you. Sharon (Sugarshack) started a thread a few weeks ago about the Wilton fondant actually being good enough for her to use. As successful as she is, I listen to most anything she says. thumbs_up.gif They have improved the flavor. I agree it did use to be terrible.

I disagree with you on MMF as well. I have been making fondant for awhile (she's (the op) never even used fondant) and I've never had good results with it at all. I make Michele Foster's Fondant and it's a very high quailty fondant that taste awesome and for workability is "hands down" second to none.

Marshmallow fondant would be great for her to try to make once she has some basic idea of what fondant should be like. Wilton will give her the perfect example as it's a great fondant as far as texture and workability.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 16

According to Wilton, there's been no change in ingredients or method for the production of their fondant, so how it can taste different, I have no idea. Personally, I will only use it on dummies.

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

According to Wilton, there's been no change in ingredients or method for the production of their fondant, so how it can taste different, I have no idea. Personally, I will only use it on dummies.

I don't know icon_confused.gif All I know is that I've tasted it before when it smelled like chemicals and tasting it now it's like a different product. It doesn't even have the same smell. They may say it hasn't been "changed" but I guarante that something is very different with it. I don't use it either except for my bows but I did notice a change just as Sharon did.

krafticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krafticakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 16

i've used both MMF and Wilton fondant for my first fondant cake. The kids devoured both, even the teenagers. it took me forever the knead the MMF then roll it out and cover my cake. I had a hard time working with it. But the Wilton fondant was so cooperative. I even like it more than the Satin Ice brand. I've recently been using it. Satin Ice dries and cracks on me.

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafticakes

i've used both MMF and Wilton fondant for my first fondant cake. The kids devoured both, even the teenagers. it took me forever the knead the MMF then roll it out and cover my cake. I had a hard time working with it. But the Wilton fondant was so cooperative. I even like it more than the brand. I've recently been using it. dries and cracks on me.

thumbs_up.gif

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 16

Ok. I never had any problems with MMF. My very first fondant cake was MMF covered and since then that's all I use. But i did taste the wilton a few weeks ago and to me the bad taste is still there.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 16

I made a birthday cake last week and ran out of fondant so I used Wilton to make polka dots. One of my coworkers went back to the cake box and picked up all the dot pieces that fell off during cutting and ate them up so I guess it's to each their own.

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 16

Michelle Fosters updated fondant recipe is super easy to make and use.The best part is that it even tastes good.

krafticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krafticakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 16

i've been reading about michelle fosters recipe. i will have to try that next time.

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:33pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafticakes

i've been reading about michelle fosters recipe. i will have to try that next time.

I highly recommend it. I love that stuff. I have never had an issue with it. Just make certain that you strain the liquids as directed in the receipe. I didn't do that once and I ruined my fondant.

Like Krista said it's super easy and taste GOOD. thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 16

Yes, you can color it now. Remember that the color will deepen with time. Due to this, I suggest you do color it ahead of time so you can adjust it if necessary.

As far as fondant wars, use what you feel comfortable with right now. There's plenty of time to play later.

AM333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AM333 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks everyone thumbs_up.gif

I will have to check out those recipes as I have a feeling that I am going to like this. I have three little boys, love playing with playdoh and love making and decorating cakes. To me, this is the best of both worlds icon_wink.gif
I appreciate all of the tips. The amount of fondant I plan on using is minimal and for decoration only since I will use a buttercream frosting under it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%