First Time For Me...

Business By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 14 May 2010 , 3:15pm by mamawrobin

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of 7

having a wedding cake cancelled. The bride just called to apologize. We had an appointment for Sat. to go over pictures and sign the contract. A friend of hers found out she made the appointment with me and told her that she was really upset because the wedding cake was going to be her gift to her.

Good thing my contract says no refunds of the deposit money because I would have been a little peeved if I had spent consult time with her and had her cancel for that reason.

As it is I already spent some time looking for cakes to show her and put together a slide show of things I knew she would be interested in.

Anyway, I'm bummed tonight. It sounded like she had some really great colors and wanted a fun cake. Hopefully this friend knows what she is doing icon_sad.gif

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:29am
post #2 of 7

Wait, is her friend going to make the cake herself? Good luck to the bride!

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry to hear, that has happened to me before.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 7

I had this happen last month. Not the exact same situation, but met with a client who called and wanted a same-day appointment, which I accommodated. We spent about an hour designing her cake. She was super excited. Then the mom called a week later saying that the cake was out of their budget and they decided to "go another direction." I offered to work with them within their budget, but they still wanted to cancel. I was annoyed, but it happens. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often. I agree with costumeczar, if the friend is making the cake herself.....good luck to the bride!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7

I agree. Good luck to the bride. I've noticed that this seems to happen quite often from reading the forums here on cc. icon_confused.gif

I just find it hard to believe that these brides are choosing to let their friends, cousins, sister, etc. do their cakes because it will "hurt feelings". Where are all of the bridezillas??

Here's what I think's really going on. After the bride finds out how much the cake is going to cost they start discussing it with family and friends and they all decide that it's entirely too much to spend for cake. Especially since "so and so" can make cakes. Since these people DO cakes I find it hard to believe that the subject of them doing the brides cakes never comes up until she's contacted someone else icon_confused.gif . I could be wrong but it's just what I think is happening.

So...they call and say that their friend, mom, sister, cousin, etc. found out that they were going to order the cake from (______________) and they "had hurt feelings" so to keep everyone happy the bride is going to let them do her cake.

I don't buy it. I think they say that because they know they've wasted your time and effort and it's an easy escape to blame it on not wanting to "hurt their feelings."

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, the friend is making her wedding cake as her gift. Bride was really sweet and felt bad having to call and tell me. Plus I detected a bit of trepidation in her voice when she said her friend was making the cake, so it doesn't sound like she has a lot of cake experience.

Hey the good part about living in a small town is that I will eventually hear from someone that attended the wedding how the cake turned out icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 7

Where are you in Alaska? My son lives in Fairbanks. He works for the University of Alaska in Fairbanks and lives on campus.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%