How Do You Stop Yourself From Eating The Icing?

Decorating By Julie_S Updated 16 May 2010 , 7:06pm by prterrell

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #31 of 58

yeah my icing... iced cakes... I am all CAAAKED OUT! I don't wanna eat anything sweet lol and I always get asked... how do you NOT gain weight with all those cakes? I say it's like working with anything... I see it as working materials/ingredients.... u will get there too icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I say it's like working with anything... I see it as working materials/ingredients.... u will get there too icon_smile.gif

This reminds me of what my husband tells me he told every bank teller he ever trained: "It's a product of our business. When it starts looking like money to you, then it's time to find another job!"

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #33 of 58

I couldn't stand bc..never had the urge to try it, taste it, anything. I made hubby and the kids taste it with plastic spoons that went into the trash....UNTIL I started making Debi's bc..........I tried it on a cc for my son's birthday, and it wasnt like regular old bc to me. It was very yummy! But. I only take a small spoon to taste it, since I never really measure vanilla very well. I throw some in, and see if it's vanilly enough.

kristieanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristieanna Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:11pm
post #34 of 58

I taste a little out of every batch I make, just to be sure it is perfect. This doesn't mean I eat spoonfuls out of the bowl, LOL. And I never lick my fingers! Luckily, I don't have a huge sweet tooth, so I am not tempted to keep licking anything while I am baking.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #35 of 58

I make little "cake sandwiches" with the cake scraps and the icing left over from my crumb coat. The kids get a taste and I can have a little sample if I ever get a craving.

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:27pm
post #36 of 58

I see I'm not the only newbie whose buttons seems a lot harder to close now icon_smile.gif (a few pairs don't even close at all anymore icon_cry.gif )

I cannot wait for the day when I turn up my nose to icing/frosting.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:29pm
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I say it's like working with anything... I see it as working materials/ingredients.... u will get there too icon_smile.gif

This reminds me of what my husband tells me he told every bank teller he ever trained: "It's a product of our business. When it starts looking like money to you, then it's time to find another job!"

Agreed!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #38 of 58

Duct tape? icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #39 of 58

I had to make a cake once when I had a cold, so I used a surgical mask. It was only when there was a physical block between my mouth and my finger that I realized how often I was tasting everyting - batter, icing, you-name-it. I was grossed out on two counts: it was horribly unsanitary and I was taking in hundreds of extra calories that were doing me in. I used a mask for the next three or four cakes, until I wasn't doing that anymore. Now I don't need the mask - it's a habit I no longer have. I also work with fondant a lot, the taste of which I do not hate. But I've gotten into the habit of thinking of it as so much Play-Doh, so that's not a problem anymore, either.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #40 of 58

How about this solution. . .

I really hate the dentist and I know I have a cavity that needs to be filled. I know because when I eat a bite of icing it makes my tooth ache. This problem should be a good reason not to eat anything sugary and to go to the dentist. --- Sadly I find I have a tooth ache too often and I still haven't called the dentist.

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #41 of 58

This is SO funny! A co-worker of mine (and fellow caker) and I were just discussing trying to find an Icing Eaters Anonymous support group! Our issue isn't the buttercream - it's the Decorator's Cream Cheese Icing. I have to have a spoon (or 2 or 3) of it every night! Two nights ago, I resorted to eating the only cream cheese icing I had left- BLACK! I'm hooked!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #42 of 58

Well, if you're really not using real cakes, only dummies, and you're really the only one eating the icing, a really fast way to teach yourself to work cleanly without doing any licking is to add about a cup of salt to each batch of icing. It won't affect the piping ability but you sure won't eat it. It will teach food cleanliness to even the biggest food-code violator pretty fast.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #43 of 58

The icing makes me sick...even if I get a sugar craving and eat some, I'm sick from the grease/butter in it!

I wish I could get sick of the cake part though...love munching on cake scraps. *sigh*

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:10pm
post #44 of 58

When I'm 'practicing' on dummy cakes, I make what I call 'fake frosting'. Basically just shortening and PS. No other flavoring and I usually ad a little more shortening so it doesn't take appealing AT ALL!!! It took me a few time of dipping into my 'fake frosting', When it comes to using actual BC, I don't even THINK about it now! LOL

Mind over matter I guess...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I had to make a cake once when I had a cold, so I used a surgical mask. It was only when there was a physical block between my mouth and my finger that I realized how often I was tasting everyting - batter, icing, you-name-it. I was grossed out on two counts: it was horribly unsanitary and I was taking in hundreds of extra calories that were doing me in. I used a mask for the next three or four cakes, until I wasn't doing that anymore. Now I don't need the mask - it's a habit I no longer have. I also work with fondant a lot, the taste of which I do not hate. But I've gotten into the habit of thinking of it as so much Play-Doh, so that's not a problem anymore, either.

I think you said it best. There is a point where we aren't really purposely eating it that you realise how much of a habit it is.

When I am paying attention to what I eat, I notice there are times when I am doing a cake I find myself tasting the icing more than I thought I did. One time, after the third sample, I turned around and spit into the trash can because I knew I really didn't want it, nor did my thighs need it.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:55pm
post #46 of 58

OP, I had to do a double-take to make sure that I hadn't written this myself! Not only do I love frosting, too, but I'm also a "Julie S"!!!!!!!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Well, if you're really not using real cakes, only dummies, and you're really the only one eating the icing, a really fast way to teach yourself to work cleanly without doing any licking is to add about a cup of salt to each batch of icing. It won't affect the piping ability but you sure won't eat it. It will teach food cleanliness to even the biggest food-code violator pretty fast.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I should make up a batch of that for the kids and the hubby, who wait until my back is turned to steal frosting from the bowl. I keep a box of plastic spoons on my counter, and if they have to have a taste, they use a spoon and it's one taste only with that spoon.

I just remembered a funny story about licking the icing. When my youngest was turning one, I was sitting at the table working on her cake. I was only looking at the cake, not looking past it, and I hadn't noticed that she was on the table. I noticed that the bottom tier was getting a shiny wet groove in it and I started trying to cover it up with the spatula. (This was when I first started doing cakes so I thought my cake was just doing something funny.) Then the parts where I had covered it started getting the same mark, so I looked to see if there was something on the table dragging in the icing as I turned the cake on the turntable. There was...the baby was laying on the table with her tongue stuck out, licking the cake as it turned on the turntable. Fortunately she couldn't reach the top tier and that's what we served at her party icon_biggrin.gif

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #48 of 58

I am past the point of liking frosting.....I can't stand it!!

It is the funny the only frosting and cake for that matter is a Duncan Hines chocolate cake (NOT doctored up) and Duncan Hines chocolate frosting (NOT doctored up) and I think the only reason I like that is because that is what my grandma always made me when I went to visit (which was only once or twice a year)

But when I started I would open a beer (I don't like beer) I would take a sip or two and then decorate and after the taste of beer in my mouth frosting tasted HORRIBLE!! now I tried margaritas but I just ended up with a horrible looking cake and I was a little tipsy! icon_lol.gif

Julie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie_S Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:01pm
post #49 of 58
Quote:

I would imagine that the icing would get grainy from the salt. Have you done this before?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie_S

Quote:

I would imagine that the icing would get grainy from the salt. Have you done this before?

Yep, and it stopped a bunch of fourth-grade girls from sucking the icing out of their bags during a cake class, so if it can do that it works! Put salt in the fat when you're creaming it at the beginning of the process (it doesn't have to be that much, any amount if going to make it nasty) and let it go until it smooths out. Or you can dissolve it in the liquid.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:44pm
post #51 of 58

Like Indydebi said....after you eat if for a day or so you no longer want any..I have been decorating for 9 years and I never eat the icing..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Like Indydebi said....after you eat if for a day or so you no longer want any..I have been decorating for 9 years and I never eat the icing..

Today was my grandkids birthday party and even then, I left the icing on the plate. (of course it WAS spideyman blue, red and black and I was busy making fun of everyone ELSE'S teeth and lips and didn't want any paybacks! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif )

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:34pm
post #53 of 58

Eating icing has never been my thing. However, i'm always risking salmonella by eating the cake batter itself icon_smile.gif I like the taste of batter more than a baked cake. Haha icon_smile.gif

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:44pm
post #54 of 58

ick...yeah it's like the people who work at chocolate factories and then can't stand it after a while working there. i can't stand it! i'll test it to make sure it's good but yuck!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #55 of 58

I haven't tried it but I read somewhere that for icing practice you can use straight shortening. Seems like it might work. Ice, decorate, scrape it off and re-use it. Once I accidentally made a batch of icing from rancid butter from my hoarder moms house. I used that stuff over and over again and was never tempted to taste cause it was so awful. Plus it started out pink and purple and after getting all mixed together turned a yucky color, so a yucky color could be another suggestion too. Or if you want to use your usual recipe don't use any flavoring at all, or a flavor you don't like (mint would do it for me) , and leave it out so it is always room temp so it is handy to practice with but after a while you wouldn't even want to try it cause it is old.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #56 of 58

Just finished Wilton Courses 1 and 2 and starting Course 3. In the process, I've discovered several fascinating things: 1) I LOVE CAKE DECORATING!!! 2) Cake decorating is very expensive, and 3) I can't eat any of my beautiful cakes.

I too licked the frosting, it was easier and tasted good--after all, it was for my family... Then I got very, very sick and found out I can't tolerate fats. Hmmm, you think maybe that a pound of Crisco might count? I'm finding that my 2 layered 8" rounds and 9x13 sheets require an astonishing 4 pounds of frosting per cake. Since it causes acute pain, I now find it incredibly easy NOT to lick the frosting. I strongly suggest you chew gum and don't learn how not-to-lick the way I did.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #57 of 58

1) Wine & frosting do not taste good together.
2) A glass or two of wine is a great way to feel less stressed while doing a cake
3) When I'm relaxed, my fondant goes on smoother

WIN, WIN, WIN icon_smile.gif.

If I absolutely need to taste test when adding flavorings, (with a clean spoon), I either use DH or taste and spit out into the garbage.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #58 of 58

How do I not eat the icing? Same way I don't do a lot of things. I just don't. Will-power, self-control, whatever you want to call it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%