Using Sugarveil??

Sugar Work By MaryV Updated 14 May 2010 , 3:14pm by emilyg

MaryV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryV Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 2

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have much experience using the product "SugarVeil? I was thinking of trying some to make a sugar wine bottle.

My "idea" would be to pour out a sheet of SugarVeil, and then wrap it around a wine bottle that has been thinly coated with Crisco.

I've never use SugarVeil, the website is not too clear on how firm this stuff sets-up. Does it actually "dry" to a firm, "hard candy" consistency, or does it always retain a sort of stiff "fabric" texture??

Thanks for any insight!

-Mary icon_confused.gif

1 reply
emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Mary,

For this, SugarVeil would need support. You could carve a bottle-shape out of cake, pour a chocolate ganache over it, and then cover it smoothly with SugarVeil. The SugarVeil is white and opaque enough to completely hide the ganache beneath. And here's another idea for you.

I made some large decorated sugar eggs at Easter, and made them using about 1/4 cup (already beaten) SugarVeil mixture added to Baker's Sugar (grocery store variety very fine granulated C & H sugar - didn't measure, but it was more than a cup, I think) until the consistency was like wet sand. Then I packed it into large egg shaped molds, and put it a 100 degree oven to dry hard (you could also use a food dehydrator for this).

The eggs turned out great - very smooth surface which I then decorated with the Icing Dispenser. This technique would be good for casting any decorative molded sugar item for a cake, like a cake topper, castle turret, etc, or even small candy/chocolate-type mold shapes for cake decor. If you want a hollow item (to decorate the inside of the egg, for example), you just catch the solid egg shape when it' just partially hardened, and scoop out the center.

Not sure if you would be able to mold the mixture around a bottle (it's like wet sand), but it would be interesting to try.

Sorry this info is a bit vague measurement-wise. It was the first time experimenting with the process. I'll take some photos and accurate measurements and develop it a bit in the near future.

Michele at SugarVeil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%