Why Can't I Just Get A Straight Answer?

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 13 May 2010 , 7:20pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 24

So sorry to do this, but I have to get it out. Hopefully to people that understand where I'm coming from.

My SIL is hosting a bridal shower. She asked me to do the cake back in january. No problem, just let me know when it gets closer to the date how many people are going to be there, flavor, decorations, etc. She says the wedding theme is gerbera daisies in fuschia. Cool, not the easiest color to achieve in my experience, but I like a challenge. I'm thinking some cute stacked thing with gumpaste daisies. Easy peasy.

She and I are looking through the galleries about a month ago to get some decoration ideas and she spots an open book cake with a frog prince in the corner. She points and says "That cake! That's the cake I would want at my bridal shower! Let's do that one!" Uhh, ok, not exactly fuschia daisies, but we can add some around the edges or something to tie it in with the wedding. She still hadn't planned the rest of the party yet, so I just let her know once again to give me a good 3-4 weeks heads up on head count and flavor.

Well, it's just about a month before the wedding (wedding mind you, not the shower) and still no answer. I texted her two days ago asking if she still wanted me to do the cake and if so I need a few more details with no reply. Today, DH is driving 14 hours with his sister and parents to visit their brother. I asked him to tell her that I need that info. She texts me a few hours ago with, "yeah, I'd love for you to make the cake, sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Do you still have the picture of the frog prince cake?" I replied, "Yep, I just need to know how many people it's going to be for, what flavor, when you need it by, the bride and groom's names (as they were going to be on the cake), and any other decorations you had in mind."

Her response? "book cake?"

That gives me nothing. Is it so hard to give me at least a ball park figure of how many people are going to be there and a flavor? "Book cake" isn't a flavor. Or a head count.

Sorry so long, just had to get it out.

23 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 24

geez louize, Im sorry your going through this. Try to do something nice for someone and...... you know the saying. What the heck does "book cake" even mean?? good luck with this one!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 24

I know I might sound harsh but you need to actually call her and tell her "you have 12 hours to give me a detailed description in writing that contains the following details"
and give her a numbered list of the information you need.
Explain to her that if you don't have that information within 12 hours she is going to have to order the cake from someone else.

I know they are family and thats exactly the reason why she shouldn't be lolligagging like this. She shouldn't be trying to cause you even more stress.

She obviously isn't that worried about the cake or care that much because if she did she would be on the ball about it considering this has been going on since January.
If she is so laissez faire than you should be too and not worry about her having to get the cake somewhere else.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 24

I know, a very similar thing happened with her birthday cake. I planned a cute cake for it and then when we were discussing about when and where to meet for the birthday party (it was her brother's my hubby's birthday too, they are twins) she said that she had plans to go with the bride for dress fittings on that day.

Her friend scheduled appointments to try on dresses on her best friend's birthday. Sigh. So, because of those plans, SIL says to not even plan on her being at the party because she might not be able to make it. Everyone in the family is frowning at this because just because she's not too excited for her birthday, it's still her twin brother's birthday and he wanted to have a nice party with cake and family. So I was talking with hubby about it and he said just don't even bother with a cake then if she's so nonchalant about it.

We go to the party, SIL is able to come and kinda pouts about how I didn't bring her a cake.

But honestly, I'm not expecting anything less from her. She's always been this way about not planning ahead, not feeling like she has to hurry up about anything. She's always 15 minutes late to family functions. Always. Even now, though she's living at home with mom and dad, if there is something going on, she'll drive there separately and be late.

UPDATE: Just got another text with the date. June 11 or 12th. Got the fiancee's name. Still need a head count and flavor.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

I know I might sound harsh but you need to actually call her and tell her "you have 12 hours to give me a detailed description in writing that contains the following details"
and give her a numbered list of the information you need.
Explain to her that if you don't have that information within 12 hours she is going to have to order the cake from someone else.

I agree, CALL her. People these days rely too much on texting and e-mail and it's just not as efficient as a good old fashioned phone call. You can settle everything in one call (instead of 50 messages back and forth and back and forth that contain one or two words) and get your point across with the tone of your voice. Yes, a phone call is in order! Good luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 24

I would tell her that a cake like the one in the picture is going to take at least a month for you to plan out and execute and if if you don't get the info. you might have to make her something else!

I actually laughed out loud about her text "book cake?" I'm thinking she was just still making sure that you had the right photo of the right cake! Too funny!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 24

I'd text her back and say "Ok, chocolate book cake to feed 10 people on June 11th". I'll have it ready for you. I bet you'll get a response.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 24

June 11 or 12th. 12 people. Vanilla cake or the flavor I made at my houswarming party. Which was two flavors, but whatever, she gets vanilla. Frog Prince storybook cake with fuschia gerbera daisies.

FINALLY!!!!!!

Now to learn how to sculpt a frog out of gumpaste with a little crown. Haven't done that before.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 24

If its your SIL why not just ask if she wants you to just give them a really good flavor and stuff? Well you do need guest count...but anything else, you could just ask if "artistic license" will be okay? I've had people not even my family tell me THAT...they give me a theme and a headcount and a general idea of where they are going, and then let me go from there.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 24

Just text her straight back and say "still waiting on ALL answers to ALL my questions...otherwise there can be NO cake"

Its direct - and hopefully not to complicated for her to understand

Whats wrong with her - why can't she actually speak to you over the phone - instead of texting?

Oh good grief - i just saw your next post - icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif

She is *too hard* - i wouldn't take that from a unknown custonmer - let alone a rellie - she is a headache waiting to happen - sorry but i'd run in the opposite direction. No wonder she treats situations with an air headed approach - she always seems to get away with it...
and as the saying goes - people treat us how we allow them to treat us -

Run for the hills ....................fast.

Bluehue

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 24

what's a "rellie"? icon_confused.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 24

I'm guessing a "relative" ?

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 24

I think "rellie" is short for relative.

I'm making a cake for my nephews graduation in a couple of weeks. His parents have had a hard time financially over the last year, so I thought it would be nice for them to not have to worry about a cake. I'm getting the same kind of run around so I'm just doing what I want. icon_wink.gif

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be great!

indydebi Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #14 of 24

OH!!!!! Now I see it. I'd never heard the term before and was drawing a complete blank.

I'm guess not good at the new techno-shorthand stuff.....and if it only saves 2 keystrokes, it not much of a shorthand! icon_lol.gif

Bluehue Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 24

LOL - you never say Rellie?

You never say.............the rellies are coming over?

I just roared laughing - fancey not saying rellies -

But then again it took me a few years to know wht S'UP meant on American Police shows.
WHATS uP - icon_rolleyes.gif

And i have just finished typing the dictionary meaning for the word Fiddly over on another thread....lol

indydebi Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #16 of 24

icon_lol.gif Bluehue, if our relatives are coming over, it's usually preceeded with the phrase "oh god! icon_cry.gif "

We had friends from England come and visit with us for a couple of weeks and the first few days was an education for both of us as we learned each other's slang and terminology. Not to worry! By the time they left, they had a nice southern drawl and could say "y'all" really well! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 24

lol Bluehue I think it depends on where your from. It's more of an ozzie and english thing, (english myself so I get it)Rellie is slang for relatives.

Bluehue Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:39pm
post #18 of 24

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL at Indydeb -
Except for DS all our RELLIES live 4 days driving away (2,133 miles / 3,432 km) on the opposite side of the country...so if they were coming over it would be a case of clapping hands and rolling out the red carpet . icon_lol.gif
So my Rellies don't just *drop in for a coffee* so to speak icon_smile.gif
You could use it and see if your DH/children cottons on to who your talking about - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

PTBUGZY1, yes, its all a case of where one is placed on this planet - thumbs_up.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:59pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Bluehue

ha ha, wish I could. But with my state laws not allowing me to open my own cake business from home, I'm taking any chance I can to make a cake other than the grocery store cakes I make at work. It'll be fun. A couple thinks I've never done before, so I'll probably have to practice them. I did find a couple tutorials for some pretty cute frog princes. Wish me luck!!

Bluehue Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Bluehue

ha ha, wish I could. But with my state laws not allowing me to open my own cake business from home, I'm taking any chance I can to make a cake other than the grocery store cakes I make at work. It'll be fun. A couple thinks I've never done before, so I'll probably have to practice them. I did find a couple tutorials for some pretty cute frog princes. Wish me luck!!

WISHING YOU LUCK ........will keep an eye out for the final creation thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #21 of 24

Looking forward to see your little frog prince cake - if I ever got married, that's the type of cake that would fit me well - you know the old phrase - "you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince!" That's my life!! LOL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #22 of 24

I hear yah..I get so grumpy when I am emailing back and forth with a customer asking specific questions like exactly what you wanted to know and the email back with some silly dribble and not answering what you asked them in the first place... icon_mad.gif I think I emailed one woman 3 times finally I said...How many people and what flavor???

cake Muggles... icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #23 of 24

Check out this site: http://www.sugardreams.de/index.php
She makes the best frog princes I've ever seen! (choose English in the upper-right)

I thought she had a tutorial on there years ago but I wasn't able to find it this time. Here's a close-up of the frog, though: http://www.motivtorten-basics.de/data/torten/froggy.jpg

Good luck!

Jenny

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:20pm
post #24 of 24

That frog is perfect! Especially with the lips! I think I'm gonna give that one a shot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%