Using Fresh Whipped Cream Filling And Covering With Fondant

Decorating By StephD31 Updated 13 May 2010 , 10:52pm by mamawrobin

StephD31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephD31 Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 15

Okay...so I am making my first cake with fresh whipped cream and fresh strawberry filling. The cake is for this upcoming Saturday. I would like to fill the cake tonight so that I have time to decorate it.

How far in advance can I fill a cake with fresh whipped cream without it going bad?

Also, I am planning on covering the cake with fondant. Should I cover the outside of the cake with the whipped cream? Or should I use buttercream before adding the fondant?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

14 replies
toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 15

Fresh whipped cream really needs to be refrigerated for the majority of the time. Also... DO NOT ice your cake with whipped cream if you are using fondant! It will make your fondant turn to mush! Buttercream only under fondant. HTH!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 15

She's right. Use the buttercream to ice the cake or you'll have a disaster.

StephD31 Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you guys so much!! This helps a lot. If I keep it refrigerated except for during decorating and transporting...you think it will be fresh on Saturday?

mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephD31

Thank you guys so much!! This helps a lot. If I keep it refrigerated except for during decorating and transporting...you think it will be fresh on Saturday?

Since you're doing a whipped cream and strawberry filliing I wouldn't do the cake this far in advance. If it didn't have this type of filling it would be fine but I think I'd wait one more day with this type of filling. Personally I don't do this type of filling more than a day early but that's just me. AND I know that you still have to cover with fondant and decorate so I am in no way telling YOU to wait until Friday icon_smile.gif This is why I don't usually do this type of filling. Sometimes when done too far in advance the cake will be soggy. Maybe someone with more experience with this type of filling will jump in and help you out.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:10am
post #6 of 15

I would wait until at least tomorrow, and stabilize your whipped cream with gelatin. You let the gelatin bloom (I believe it's 1/2 tsp in a couple Tbs. water, but not sure) then hold over burner until dissolved, cool to no more than body temp and pour through strainer into your cream when it's at soft peaks and whip until stiff peaks. Also, put a layer of cream, then strawberries(do not add sugar to them or they will weep too much), then another layer of cream to seal the berries/juices in the middle. Good luck!

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:17am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

I would wait until at least tomorrow, and stabilize your whipped cream with gelatin. You let the gelatin bloom (I believe it's 1/2 tsp in a couple Tbs. water, but not sure) then hold over burner until dissolved, cool to no more than body temp and pour through strainer into your cream when it's at soft peaks and whip until stiff peaks. Also, put a layer of cream, then strawberries(do not add sugar to them or they will weep too much), then another layer of cream to seal the berries/juices in the middle. Good luck!

toodles is absolutely right. Don't add sugar to those strawberries or you will have a mess. Hope everything works out okay for you. Do keep us updated will ya? thumbs_up.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #8 of 15

agreed, especially the strawberries will deteriorate quickly once inside the cake. I would do it the day before, 2 at the very most.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #9 of 15

I dont know if you were planning on using that red strawberry glaze with the fresh strawberries, but I would not for the same reason as not adding any sugar to your berries. I also would wait until maybe Friday morning to assemble your cake.
Good Luck

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:58am
post #10 of 15

Whipped cream stays fresh for 4 days according to our helth department ( Sweden) Here we do not have any preservatives or additions to the cream so possibly cream in USA could have longer lifetime. I always use cream based fillings and I fill the cake one day ahead of eating or 1,5 days maximum. That way I know it will stay frsh for 2-3 days after delivery and my customer can safely eat left overs.

I also cover my cake with whipped cream and then fondant BUT the brand of fondant I use ( Ballinas) is the only one except for MMF that it works with as far as I know. Otherwise you can always brush the side going on teh cream with a flavourless cookingoil and you'll be safe.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:50am
post #11 of 15

Hi

I have a cake due Friday with Strawberries & Whipped Cream.... I'm torting and filling today... Fr this type f filling...u wait until you can't wait any longer lol.... u want to ensure that the filling will stay fresh for the dd and maybe 2 days after (leftovers)... I know we like to have it done earlier so we can g oahead and get to decorating... but I advised you to wait....

Good Luck

PS... Yeah.... no sugar... no syrup.... just fresh sliced strawberries with the whipped cream....

hth

StephD31 Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you everyone!! After all of your comments I am def going to wait until tomorrow to fill the cake. I just get so excited about the decorating! I will keep you all updated on how it turns out!

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephD31

Thank you everyone!! After all of your comments I am def going to wait until tomorrow to fill the cake. I just get so excited about the decorating! I will keep you all updated on how it turns out!

Good for you thumbs_up.gif That's is a wise decision. Good luck with your cake.

MissSassyBuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSassyBuns Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 15

Ok, so here's a question to add onto that one...(now I'm scared! icon_surprised.gif )

I have a cake due Saturday. I baked on Tuesday and torted/filled/crumbcoated the bottom later last night...it's IMBC and fresh raspberries. My plan is to ice tonight and decorate tomorrow night, ready for pickup Saturday morning....is that cake now a lost cause since I filled it last night?? I'm hoping I'm alright icon_redface.gif

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSassyBuns

Ok, so here's a question to add onto that one...(now I'm scared! icon_surprised.gif )

I have a cake due Saturday. I baked on Tuesday and torted/filled/crumbcoated the bottom later last night...it's IMBC and fresh raspberries. My plan is to ice tonight and decorate tomorrow night, ready for pickup Saturday morning....is that cake now a lost cause since I filled it last night?? I'm hoping I'm alright icon_redface.gif

I have never made a cake with this type of filling this far in advance so I can't say. Maybe someone that has can help answer your question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%