What To Store Fondant Decorations In?

Decorating By bhelenep Updated 12 May 2010 , 4:29am by ceshell

bhelenep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bhelenep Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 5

I just made for the 1st time fondant decorations. They are just flat flowers. Well I got to thinking of what I need to store them in so they will be ready for decorating on Friday.....what do you store yours in? Would a flat tupperware be ok? How long do they have to sit out and harden before I can put them in the freezer? When they dry can I stack them? Thanks for your replies I'm lost.

4 replies
sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:54am
post #2 of 5

I usually store mine in a container with a lid. For about an hour or so, I will leave the lid off then I will put the lid on, but do not snap it on completely so that the decorations can get air. The lib is mostly there to keep dust and other things from getting in your fondant. Hope this helps.

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:57am
post #3 of 5

I often store mine on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and then cover it lightly with plastic wrap or foil. I make sure some air can get in so they stay nice and firm. I don't want them to bend or break, so I prefer to keep them on the nice, flat cookie sheet.

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #4 of 5

I usually let my decorations/flowers dry overnight, then I just store them in plastic containers with lid until ready for use, all my extras/left-overs stay in the containers. I don't know if you can freeze fondant decorations, I have never done this since they store really good in the containers.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:29am
post #5 of 5

You don't need to freeze them, but the storage info everyone else has given you is great. I only seal up my flat tupperware container if I WANT them to remain soft - for example if you will need them to be a bit bendable to form to your round cake. (Alternately you can dry them on the side of a cake pan but that can get challenging.)

You just made them and you only need them in three days so they're not going to "go bad" or anything: seal the container to keep them flexible, vs allow air to seep in to help them dry out a bit. And yes, if you want to dry them all the way (uncovered) you can probably stack them when dry...but I too would use parchment in between. Personally I don't like to stack, in case they are jusssssst soft enough to get smooshed by the decorations on top of 'em.

Oh, most important tip of all though: be sure to store them away from any light, as light will fade your colors, especially anything with reds in it (pink, purple, orange, etc.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%