Flour Frosting...i'm Impressed

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 11 May 2010 , 6:30pm by raquel1

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 25

I tried this recipe and it is great. Good flavor, very easy to smooth and it crusts great. Not at all sweet like buttercream.

24 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

I tried this recipe and it is great. Good flavor, very easy to smooth and it crusts great. Not at all sweet like buttercream.

Thanks. I've been wanting to try this receipe. It does crust? I read in the remarks under the receipe that it wasn't a crusting buttercream. I'm going to try it for sure. My grandmother use to make icing like this and I loved it.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 25

I just used it for the first time last weekend on a red velvet, and it was just lovely! Not too sweet, just a great compliment to the cake. The first run was a test and it went great, the second run, the "for real" one was not so uneventful since I lost electricity for over one hour while I was cooking the flour mixture...I was freaking out because I was on a schedule, very well mapped out and timed and didn't have time for THAT! I think that caused the mixture to act weird and when I mixed it alll together I got little clumps of flour in the icing icon_cry.gif They were actually not very noticeable and I didn't have time to re do it and thankfully the customer loved it and absolutely loved the cake (first time with red velvet as well). It's the heart shaped one with the chocolate clay roses and went together with the two tiered italiand cream with the chocolate roses as well. They looked sooo pretty together! I will be using this icing again and again, it's not the crusting "perfectly" smoothed bc I'm used to but it's so foamy and creamy, just a different look, I want to try and see how well it takes different flavors.

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 25

raquel what method did you use to smooth this icing?

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 25

i love icings made with flour - the taste and texture is incredible. Toba Garrett has a great recipe in her book. Buttercream flowers come out gorgeous with it. The only problem with flour (also called custard) buttercreams is they are not very stable - they don't hold up in warm weather. It's good for cakes and cupcakes that can be left in a very cold place or the fridge until an hour before. It's also great as a filling.

raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 25

The pics haven't loaded yet but when they do you will see that the test small round cake is pretty smooth and I just used the bench scraper for the sides and large spatula for the top, can't "melvira" it so I decided not to drive myself crazy and just get it a smooth as possible without asking for flawless perfection... For the heart I used the same tools but on the top I swirled it to follow the heart shape and it looked very romantic, the pics don't do it justice... I will say, just apply a thick layer so you have plenty material to "take away" while you smooth, and since it's not soo sweet it won't be a bad thing if you have a lot of icing icon_biggrin.gif Also, I usually use an icing tip to apply my bc, this time I did a crumb coat, chilled it , and then iced the cake, I had to kinda rush through it for the heart shape and it's probably why it's not as smooth.

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 25

Thanks raquel.

raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 25

No problem! icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to make it again to see exactly why I got the little clumps, I beat it to death and still couldn't get rid of them (the second time around with the power failure...). And another thing,I forgot to tell you it took the airbrushing with pearl beautifuly! I will try using a color next test.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 25

the instructions say to ice a chilled or frozen cake ... will it not stick to a room temp. cake?

korean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korean Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 25

Raquel1 would you share the cake recipe, i have someone that wanted red velvet as well and am looking for a good one

raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 25

It will stick but this icing behaves better when cold, as a matter of fact it tastes better and has a smoother texture when cold, not for spreading... just after iced.

raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by korean

Raquel1 would you share the cake recipe, i have someone that wanted red velvet as well and am looking for a good one

Yes, I will post it a little later this afternoon, I have to leave now but as soon as I get back I'll get it posted.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:20pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

I just used it for the first time last weekend on a red velvet, and it was just lovely!

That is because it is the ORIGINAL frosting used for red velvet. If one has grown up in the south, it is the only frosting one deems acceptable. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif (Well, I'm sure there are some southerners who think cream cheese is great with red velvet... so the above opinion is mine and mine alone. LOL) I'm not sure where or when people started thinking cream cheese frosting was what one should use on red velvet (it's fine, but it is not how red velvet was originally intended.)

And, no, it does not have to be placed on a chilled or frozen cake. I've never used it on anything but a room temp cake. I've never had it fall off a cake...

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

I just used it for the first time last weekend on a red velvet, and it was just lovely!

That is because it is the ORIGINAL frosting used for red velvet. If one has grown up in the south, it is the only frosting one deems acceptable. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif (Well, I'm sure there are some southerners who think cream cheese is great with red velvet... so the above opinion is mine and mine alone. LOL) I'm not sure where or when people started thinking cream cheese frosting was what one should use on red velvet (it's fine, but it is not how red velvet was originally intended.)

And, no, it does not have to be placed on a chilled or frozen cake. I've never used it on anything but a room temp cake. I've never had it fall off a cake...

This is the icing my grandmother used for her red velvet cake. We've never used cream cheese icing on red velvet. My grandmother also never refrigerated a cake so I'm sure she iced hers at room temp. She said that putting a cake in the fridge dried them out too much. icon_lol.gif She's been gone since 1984 and I miss her dearly.

raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

I Know, really when did cream cheese get paired up with red velvet, I think the flavor would overpower the subtleness of that cake. I will do it if asked but you won't taste a properly done red velvet. There are some RV recipes that are so heavy on the cocoa powder they really end up being just a weird chocolate cake...this reminds me I need to find and post cakeman raven's recipe for korean.

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 25

I'm going to post my grandmother's red velvet cake receipe and her peanut butter cake receipe. Both are made from scratch. I'll get around to doing that sometime this evening. Maybe someone would like to give it a try?

EDIT: sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. thumbs_up.gif

raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I'm going to post my grandmother's red velvet cake receipe and her peanut butter cake receipe. Both are made from scratch. I'll get around to doing that sometime this evening. Maybe someone would like to give it a try?

Knock yourself out! I would love to see those recipes, specially the peanutbutter one!

In the meantime here is the Cakeman Raven's one that korean wanted:

Cakeman Ravens Red Velvet Cake (with my minor changes)
·  Vegetable oil for the pans
·  2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
·  1 1/2 cups sugar
·  1 teaspoon baking soda
·  1 teaspoon fine salt
·  1 teaspoon cocoa powder (I use 2 teaspoons)·  
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
·  1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
·  2 large eggs, at room temperature
·  2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
·  1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
·  1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour 3 (9 by 1 1/2-inch round) cake pans (I use wax paper on bottom of pans)
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
Using a standing mixer (with paddle attachment), mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.
Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Start watching at 25 mins. So it wont over bake

korean Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:56pm
post #18 of 25

Thank you for the recipe

korean Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #19 of 25

ok- do you think the red velvet cake woud be alright covered in MMF?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #20 of 25

I always use this flour frosting with my red velvet cakes. Yes, it is the original way.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #21 of 25

tiggerjo- could you post the recipe you used for your flour frosting, I've tried one before and LOVED it but don't remember it crusting. I'd love a crusting version. TIA

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

YES PLEASE! I have never had red velvet cake. I would like to try it! But I have to be honest-- The PB cake!! YES!! I will try it!!!
TFS!!!

raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBUGZY1

tiggerjo- could you post the recipe you used for your flour frosting, I've tried one before and LOVED it but don't remember it crusting. I'd love a crusting version. TIA

The recipe is in the recipe section, actually it's still on the home page here (bottom of the screen) under "cooked flour icing", and it doesn't crust.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:28pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:

No problem! icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to make it again to see exactly why I got the little clumps, I beat it to death and still couldn't get rid of them (the second time around with the power failure...). And another thing,I forgot to tell you it took the airbrushing with pearl beautifuly! I will try using a color next test.

Hi- I posted the recipe and I know why you are getting flour clumps. When first tried this I had lumps too...it is just like making gravy! You need to take your whisk while it heats to a boil. Also when I take it off the stove to cool I put it into a bowl with a piece of clear wrap directly on it to prevent a skin.

raquel1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

Quote:

Hi- I posted the recipe and I know why you are getting flour clumps. When first tried this I had lumps too...it is just like making gravy! You need to take your whisk while it heats to a boil. Also when I take it off the stove to cool I put it into a bowl with a piece of clear wrap directly on it to prevent a skin.

Thanks! I did mix well while it cooked and it was smooth but next time I will cover it while it cools icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%