Ok - Now I'm Worried....but Here's What I'm Trying To Do...

Business By Cranny Updated 11 May 2010 , 5:04pm by Cranny

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All - new here, found CC last friday and I fell in LOVE!!!!!! icon_razz.gif

I've beenr reading posts about being legally 'allowed" to make in your home... and it has gotten me a little worried.

Here's my plan: I've been decorating for about a year now. I am NOT out to make a quick buck - I have a full time job, so this is something that I thought I'd so on the side. I'm not going into busy, but rather doing a cake every once in a while for a family member, friend, associate.

Am I getting myself into hot water here??? I don't plan on making any 'additional' income off it. I may charge for a cake here and there, but I'm more interested in the creative side of it.

Would appreciate any thoughts on it. Who would I call in my state/city/county to find out about this further? Is there a website??

Thanks!! I've found out very quickly that ya'll ROCK!! thumbs_up.gif

Caren

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

Check with your local health department first. Sometimes it is the Dept. of Agriculture.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 7

If you receive any type of compensation (even cost of goods) you're operating a business. Depending on the state you are in it may be illegal. I know in NE I can bake from home as long as I don't advertise and don't bake more then 3 day/wekk. Every state is different and some states don't allow home baking at all. I know CA and TX don't. Check with your county health department.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 7

"I may charge for a cake here and there . . ." may simply not be permitted. If you charge at all, for any cakes, you're a business and the Health Department or Dept of Ag (depending on your state) govern the food biz.

You should also check your local zoning, HOA, eetc to see if you can have a biz in your home.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 7

Yep, Dept of Agriculture.

That's exactly how I started, making it for friends and co-workers THEN after beeing hooked on CC, learning it was illegal without a license - OMG I did not know that. My heart was broken. That when I was hell bent on doing the right thing because I LOVED what I was doing.

The info was NOT easily obtained and I spent days and nights trying to figure it out. Typical government stuff, one department does not know what the other does. I started with registering my business name (the whole "ficticious name thing"), then I contacted the Dept of Agriculture, then I found a commercial kitchen, then I got my federal ID, city license, state license and county license and finally took the Safe Food Handling course.

Total cost under $1,000. Monthly rent at commerical kitchen $266.50. Hope this all helps. I live in Orlando.

Cranny Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, guys! I'm gonna start doing research today!!

Cranny Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 7

I've spoken to the Local Heath Department. From what I understand, if my intention is to "Advertise, bake and intend to make a profit and or income, a premit/license is required". I explained to him that I had made one in the past, and have been asked by a friend to make one in a few weeks for his child's birthday. According to the man I spoke with, I would be fine unless I start advertising AND making a profit. I can accept a small payment (like for cake mixes, ingredients) but anything else is a "profit". When I do that, THEN I need a commercial place of business and a license/permit...

WHEW!! A lot of mumbo-gumbo!! icon_wink.gif I'm going to take a step back, get my ducks in a row and do this next cake for my friend. IF I decide it's something that I would like to do more of, then I'll inquire a little further. Like I said - I am more interested in the creative part of it - not the income. The cakes that I've posted thus far are dummy cakes - just to see what I can come up with. Income would be nice, but I have a lot on my plate already...

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%