Tutu!!!!

Decorating By kba Updated 11 May 2010 , 2:51am by emilyg

kba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kba Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 4

What is the best way to simulate a tutu? I am making a ballerina dress and was thinking of using spun sugar but realized that was a bad idea as the cake and filling would most likely melt it. So, I have decided on fondant and would like any tips. I know I need it thin and i think crisp and crimped rather than wavy will look more like tulle but any idea on the texture and the best way to attach it to the cake.

Also, what is the best type cake for a 4 tier cake? I tried the maderia but it was too dense.

Finally, how do I make my icing less sweet without losing the thickness?

Thanks.

3 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 4

Sorry that I can't help with more of the questions, but I've read threads on here where people said they added a little bit of popcorn salt to their BC to make it less sweet. Popcorn salt has a finer grain than table salt, so it incorporates more easily.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 4

I have done buttercream ruffles as well as gumpaste lace cutouts. Fondant might be a bit too soft to hold the shape and still be flexible. Sugarveil is another useful product to produce lace/tulle effect.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 4

kba, here's a ballerina cookie wearing a SugarVeil tutu made with the Lace Confectioner's Mat (you can see her dance here: http://www.youtube.com/sugarveil#p/u/5/UcO0wxltmdE)
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%