Yet Another Cricut Cake Post

Decorating By candacesmith Updated 14 May 2010 , 8:21pm by debster

candacesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candacesmith Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 29

I got my Cricut Cake in last week, but I just now have had a chance to play around with it. I love it for the most part, but I do have one problem. When the blade cuts the fondant or gumpaste, it kind of tears or wrinkles the edges. Anyone know why this is? I let it harden as instructed, and also put it in the refrigerator to let it harden up. What's the deal? TIA for your help!!

28 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #2 of 29

I found mine did that when it was too thick or not dry enough. It's also from the gumpaste if you make yours homemade not being gummy enough, too soft. That's what I've found so far that's given me that problem.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #3 of 29

Make sure that you adhere the edges to the mat very well and you are using enough shortening. I find that it requires a little more shortening on the mat than when I am using gum paste 'by hand'.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 29

I find that if I set my machine to cut to slow this will happen to my fondant. I use high or med speed and med pressure.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:07am
post #5 of 29

Add extra tylose to your gumpaste. It was doing that to me too. I added a little extra tylose and let it dry longer. It cut great. Any smudge left on the edges was easily smoothed away with my finger.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #6 of 29

there is a special gumpaste recipe formulated specifically for the cricut cake....

candacesmith Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #7 of 29

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! Dalis4joe, is there anyway you could link me to that recipe? Thanks!

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:48am
post #8 of 29

dalis4joe wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

there is a special gumpaste recipe formulated specifically for the cricut cake....

Wow dalis4joe that's good to know. Do you know where we could get that recipe? Or if you have it already would you mind sharing? Pleassssssssssssssssseeeeeee icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

there is a special gumpaste recipe formulated specifically for the cake....

Okay I'll bite.....are you going to share???

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #10 of 29

You can get the gumpaste recipe here http://cuttingedgecakeart.com/ when you sign up for their news letter. Thay have also done testing on the cricut cake and they share results and tips. (with pictures) Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

candacesmith Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:41am
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy383

You can get the gumpaste recipe here http://cuttingedgecakeart.com/ when you sign up for their news letter. Thay have also done testing on the cake and they share results and tips. (with pictures) Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Just signed up, and got the recipe! Thank you so much!

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 29

Marvelous thanks Dalis4joe!! thumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #13 of 29

You know that recipe is almost exact to Lindas except this place adds 1/2 tbl more of the shortening and the tylose.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #14 of 29

Can you p.m. this to me? I cannot find mine.
Thanks.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #15 of 29

Debster,
The receipe we use does use most of the same ingredients as the one Linda uses, however in different amounts. We also use CMC not tylose. Yes, there is a difference. This is also the same ingredients, but different amounts of a reciepe that my grandmother has in a cake decorating book from the 70's. Carrie Bigger's uses a similar receipe, but in different amounts.

debster Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #16 of 29

Yeah I've heard her talk about the CMC too but I can only get the tylose here, where can you order that? Thanks.............Mine still seems too wet with 3 tlb of tylose in, but I live 5 min from that lake does that make that much of a difference?

I was also wanting to ask I went on your wesite and saw those cute cupcakes with the grad hats, how did you make those? I want those hats BAD. I have scal BTW.

JenniferAtwood Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #17 of 29

The company we were refering people to only sells by the case, and would not sell just one or two jars, so we are working with a chemist to formulate our own CMC to sell for less in smaller quantities. We will post on the blog when we get the formulation just right.

The grad hats are Tobias and my own design. We sell the file in our store. Hope this helps.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #18 of 29

debster you can purchase CMC at: www.cakesupplies.com

debster Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #19 of 29

Is the store on your site I missed it............let me go see.

glendaleAZ Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:37am
post #20 of 29

Jennifer,

Do you still use the Cricut Cake Machines?

If yes, do you use SCAL?

If yes, how did you update the Cricut Cake Machine to use SCAL with your computer?

I just tried to update my machine by first adding the Cricut Design Studio, but it only has an option to update the other machines and not the cake.

TIA,
Tammy

JenniferAtwood Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #21 of 29

You shouldn't need to update the cake, as it has the latest firmware. PM me if you have any trouble or just call and I can have Tobias walk you through.
318-308-1474

glendaleAZ Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #22 of 29

Thanks Jennifer,

I'll see if I can do it on my own, but if I run into any trouble I'll give you a call.

Thanks,
Tammy

debster Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:31am
post #23 of 29

crumbcake................. no I haven't thanks. I did roam through jennifers shop and got some svgs which Tobias ( her hubby?) is trying to walk me through downloading something on computer is holding me back. I can't wait to try those Grad hat cupccakes too cute of an idea. I just love Jenns blogs too so helpful!!!!!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #24 of 29

sorry I didn't check back... it's from Jennifer Atwood... yeah at cuttingedgecakeart.com just subscribe to her blog and she will email it to you....

they where chosen by Provo to test try the cricut cake before it was released... and they toured the country demo'ing it in cake shows....

hth

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:13pm
post #25 of 29

Ok, I'm a beginner at the whole cricut thing. I just bought a cricut cake and I love it. I'm interested in getting one of self-design programs, which do all you use/recommended? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

L.

debster Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #26 of 29

I got the SCAL and it works pretty easy.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:02am
post #27 of 29

I aplogize for my numbness but SCAL????

JenniferAtwood Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #28 of 29

Sure Cuts A Lot

debster Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #29 of 29

Jennifer, I'm getting the swing of SCAL FINALLY ( no play time) What I'm wondering is what is the Inkscape for? Is that were we can make our own svg files? I have it downloaded and don't know what to do with it...........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%