Nut Allergies & Cake Mixes

Decorating By lecrn Updated 9 May 2010 , 8:04pm by lecrn

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 3

Most of my cake recipes include cake mix as one of the ingredients. I mainly use DH & occasionally BC. Does anyone know if either of these mixes are manufactured with tree nuts? My DH is allergic to peanuts & soy & has never had a problem with any of my cakes, but I'm not sure about those with tree nut allergies.
I'm making a choc. cake next week and the customer states someone has a tree nut allergy. There's nothing on either box that has a disclaimer.
Does anyone know for sure?
Thx!

2 replies
hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 3

My best friend's son has a nut allergy so I pay special attention. All the duncan hines cake mixes I can buy here say 'are processed in a facility that also processes tree nuts' as do thier icings and cupcake mixes. The betty crocker ones I can buy do not say anything about nuts at all. I would play it safe tho and try and do something from scratch and only if you know for certain that there is no chance of cross contamination in any of your baking products or equipment. A tree nut allergy is a tough one because there are so many things that contain some form of tree nut or related food.

For me personally, other than my best friend, I wouldn't do a cake for someone with a tree nut allergy or peanut allergy unless my house was completely nut free.

I would suggest emailing the company and finding out for sure. I use wilton candy melts and a lot of the packages do not say anything about nuts, but I emailed to be certain and they told me there could be traces of nuts and they were in the process of changing their packaging.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 3

I've emailed the person to ask point blank if they had ever consumed DH or BC choc mixes. I also have Jello choc. pudding, ghirardelli chips in the recipe & asked about those as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%