Will A Gumpaste Balance Beam Support A Gymnast?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 12 May 2010 , 12:34pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a gymnastics cake later this week and the little girl wants a balance beam on the cake. I would like to make a gumpaste balance beam with a gymnast doing the splits on it. How do you think I should go about making the balance beam so that it doesn't break under the weight of the gymnast? Thanks for any ideas!

11 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 12

Hi ~ I don't see why it wouldn't hold the figure. After all, gymnasts are pretty thin!!! LOL
Sorry, I couldnt' resist!!! You could make frame work and cover it in fondant or just
make a beam and set it on the cake (no space between beam & cake). Please post a
pic, sounds very interesting!! icon_smile.gif

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 12

lol cakes47 - I was thinking the same thing. A real live gymnast? No probably not hehe.

Maybe construct the beam out of something other than JUST gumpaste - Like crispie treats if you want it edible?

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 12

Oh my Goodness...hard not to ask how bigs the gymnast...sorry couldnt resist either.

I would use GP I find it the strongest of all modelling mediums.

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 12

Ask this gal! She's very nice and VERY talented. I have worked with her on a collaborative project and she purchased the acrylic tower from me. I know she's on CC, but I don't know her screen name on here, sorry. I'm sure she'll help you though!

[/url]http://www.facebook.com/?sk=media#!/pages/Winston-Salem-NC/Cakes-By-Kim/101063456600989[url][/url]

pbjoachim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbjoachim Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 12
confectionsofahousewife Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 12

I was thinking gumpaste too guys. Do you think the gymnast needs to be gumpaste too so its lighter or do you think a mix of fondant/gumpaste would work?

tarascupcakes- I sent Kim a message about that cake. Thanks for the tip!

pbjoachim- that cake is awesome!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:19am
post #8 of 12

I agree- gp for the beam, 50/50 for the figure. If she's doing the splits, her weight will be distributed across the beam, limiting risk of breakage. I would make the beam first (MANY days ahead, so that it is rock-hard) so that you can dry her ON the beam, as it will help ensure that her body parts kind of conform to the beam...otherwise you may have a heckuva time getting her to stick on it, if she's dried first.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 12

Good call ceshell! I hadn't thought about letting her dry on the beam. I had better get to it!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 12

personally, i would wrap the gumpaste around a skewer and then form it to the shape of a balance beam with the cornered edges. i would do the same things for the legs of the beam, not cutting the skewers at all so that they could stick right into the cake...only leaving the legs exposed on top!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Good call ceshell! I hadn't thought about letting her dry on the beam. I had better get to it!

Thanks! Ask me how I know about drying parts separately and then trying to join 'em after the fact... icon_redface.gif

confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Thanks! Ask me how I know about drying parts separately and then trying to join 'em after the fact... icon_redface.gif

Haha! Sounds like experience talking. I made the balance beam yesterday and it seems dry enough this morning to put the gymnast on today. I hate working with gumpaste though. It gets so dry so fast. The balance beam looks a little rough and cracked in places. Ugh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%