Getting Th Fondant All The Way To The Bottom Of The Cake.

Decorating By kermitncupcake Updated 8 May 2010 , 12:34am by kermitncupcake

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Everyone.
I tried to do my first fondant covered cake last night. I made the fondant with icing sugar, glycerine, glucose syrup, water and gelatine. It worked fine, got a very smooth fondant that rolled well. Once it was on the cake, I smoothed it, then trimmed it by running my knife directly on the edge of the cake, across the cake board. I didnt cut it too short, but it seemed to bounce up, so it didnt stay the length of the cake and there ended up being cake exposed. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? And how to fix it?
Luckily it was just a test cake!

7 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 8

sounds to me that the fondant didn't "rest" enough... so when you cut it "pulled" back, but I'm thinking it's not too much and u can fix the gap by adding a simple border...

when I cover my cakes with fondant... I put the cake on something a little higher but with a smaller curcumference than the cake itself (like using a large round cutter under an 8 in round) so that when I smooth the fondant I smooth it all the way PAST the cake edge..... then I move it to the side... I let it set for a bit (maybe while I cover the other cakes) then I go with a paring knife that I dip in hot water after every cut and I start trimming the edge.... I like clean edges because sometimes... they don't want a border so you need to make it pretty neat.... after I stack them... I use RI or BC to seal the seams.... then use my finger to smooth all around... (like caulking your bathtub) I hope I make sence lol

hth

kermitncupcake Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 8

Hmmm.. That does sound about right!! I'll have to try it next time, thanks icon_biggrin.gif Do I have to let my fondant rest after I make it, before I roll it?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitncupcake

Hmmm.. That does sound about right!! I'll have to try it next time, thanks icon_biggrin.gif Do I have to let my fondant rest after I make it, before I roll it?

After making my fondant I let it rest at least 6 hours before using. thumbs_up.gif

kermitncupcake Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 8

I used mine straight away! Ooops!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 8

You could fill that gap in with Royal Icing and then put a border on it. I usually cut mine a little long and the adjust as needed.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 8

Just make a simple 1/2 or 1" thin strip of fondant and use it as a border all the way around. That always looks nice.

kermitncupcake Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:34am
post #8 of 8

I did border iticon_smile.gif I just needed to know how to prevent it, just incase future customers dont want borders

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%