Urgent Responses Needed!!!!!!!

Decorating By bizcocho Updated 11 May 2010 , 8:04pm by BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 13

I have to bake a 3 tier cake for saturday at 4:00 p.m. They want the cake with raspberry filling. Can I frost, filled and fondant/decorate the cake by Friday night to have it ready? I'm concerned about the raspberry filling but at the same time I need time to decorate the cake ahead of time.

12 replies
aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 13

is it just raspberry preserves? Then definitely you should be fine. Only if the filling is perishable you will need to refridgerate.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 13

Only you know how long it takes you to do this type of cake. If this is the only one you are doing it seems tight but do-able. Why are you worried about the filling? Are you worried about having time to make that from scratch and setting up?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 13

I always plan to have my cakes done the evening before they're due. If your filling is raspberry preserves, it's fine. If it's fresh pureed raspberry, keep it refrigerated, it'll be fine. Yes, even with the fondant. Just don't touch the fondant when it's sitting out.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 13

if it's a premade sleeve raspberry filling it will be fine!

taria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taria Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 13

I'm with Rose, I typically finish my cakes the night before they're due. You're raspberry filling (preserves, puree, etc.) should be fine. Just think about it...raspberry preserves are purchased at room temperature. Raspberry puree (made from fresh or frozen raspberries) will be fine as well since you typically buy fresh raspberries unrefrigerated.

And as far as execution goes, I'd do all my baking tonight and all my decorating tomorrow. HTH.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 13

Just overnight I wouldn't worry about it. Fresh raspberries grow outdoors on a vine - they aren't going to spoil overnight if not refrigerated.

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you all for all your quick responses. You ladies are awesome! Well I was concerned because like some of you mentioned I like to give myself ample time to have a cake completely decorated a day before event in case of any unforeseen circurstances the day of the event, and if I decorate this cake and have it fully decorated by Friday with the filling I was worried the raspberry filling could ferment or something, I don't know. Of course they cake will be indoor at home with A/C. I have never done a rasberry filling and I have a recipe to follow.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 13

icon_eek.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 13

I HAVE had raspberry filling ferment in a cake left out overnight. The key was that I did not cook the raspberries for a long enough amount of time, and I was basically just putting pureed raspberries with some sugar.
Gotta make sure you let it simmer long enough to become thick.
Customer was really nice about it, but I can't imagine what chocolate cake with fermented raspberries tasted like.
Since then, never had a problem.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 13

Yikes - that's good to know jentreu - I'm also making a cake with raspberry filling on Friday for Saturday so I'll make sure to cook it long enough. Luckily mine isn't fondant though - so maybe I'll throw it in the fridge just to be safe ><

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

Just overnight I wouldn't worry about it. Fresh raspberries grow outdoors on a vine - they aren't going to spoil overnight if not refrigerated.

Yes, but I doubt they're picking the raspberries from bushes in their yards. Fresh raspberries spoil rapidly. Absolutley refrigerate!

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 13

I just did my first wedding cake and the bottom teir was raspberries- i torted/filled/ iced/ and decorated the night before... (and finished at 4 am )... I torted with a very stiff butercream then spread a thin layer of buttercream down first , as a barrier, then a layer of a raspberry cream cheese buttercream ( which had sort of a mousse flavor but stiffer) and then a layer of fresh raspberries ,, i spaced the raspberries about 1 inch apart evenly, but i froze them in a deep freezer and kept them frozen until they went into the cake- i just layed out a pc. of parchment on a few sheet pans and placed them in the deep freezer so they wouldnt stick to the pan or to each other---- the teir had 3 layers and the second layer was just a glaze ... it turned out delicious! and it didnt spoil.. and i did not refridgerate it .. the cake was frozen when i torted , filled, and iced though... and frozen JUST in the middle when i covered in fondant.. which bought me more time. I also turned the house temperature down to 62 degrees... so everyone had to walk around with a sweater for the night but oh well...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%