I Need A Good Crusting Buttercream Recipe?

Baking By danawitkowski Updated 6 May 2010 , 2:06am by JGMB

danawitkowski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danawitkowski Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have one that is not purely shortening because I hate the way it leaves a film in your mouth. I usually use half shortening and half butter. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm piping a lot on this next cake I'm making, and I need it to crust well. Thanks!

7 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 8

I love the Buttercream Dream recipe from here on CC. It's 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter, not too sweet, and crusts and pipes well. I like to use whipping cream in place of the milk, just because I like the taste better and it makes it creamier.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 8

I do the same as JGMB.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 8

Use the high ratio shortening-sweetex.
The recipe for buttercream from Wilton-class buttercream icing.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 8

I use the one from serious_cakes. it's in the recipes

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I love the Buttercream Dream recipe from here on CC. It's 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter, not too sweet, and crusts and pipes well. I like to use whipping cream in place of the milk, just because I like the taste better and it makes it creamier.

Very good receipe thumbs_up.gif . In the cooler months I can get away with using real butter for my crusting buttercream and this is the receipe that I use. I also add the heavy whipping cream inplace of the milk. Most of the time I have to use Indydebi's all crisco buttercream due to our heat and humidity issues but I love this receipe whenever I'm able to use it.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #7 of 8

If you use this recipe with milk/whipping cream, am I correct in thinking that you should not use this on a fondant cake because the cake should be kept in the refrigerator?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #8 of 8

No, you can definitely leave it out on the counter. I'm not a scientist, but it's something about the ratio of sugar to milk/cream that makes it shelf stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%