Just Gotta Share This!!!

Decorating By cakebaby59 Updated 7 May 2010 , 3:08pm by juststarted

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:08am
post #1 of 17

Ok...so I am the first to admit how frugal I am when it comes to this cake thing. I haven't sold cakes for anything over my cost yet...and I have taken this in fits and starts...when I will go for a couple months and do nothing with it and then pick it up again. But lately I have been seriously wanting to (do something) with all this experience I have gained and make a little money at it! So...I have been looking to perfect my frosting technique and do a better job on getting my cakes covered good, have smooth frosting and level cakes. So...I bought all of Sugar Shacks DVD's. For me it was ideal. So...I want to share with those of u who are struggling with good frosting, first of all...Have a good mixer...I have a 5qt. stand mixer. I also invested in that new beater blade...it does just what they advertise...next I use Sugar Shack's frosting recipe for the 5qt mixer. Here's the kicker...I refused to buy the high ratio shortening. I figured that frosting tasted so good as it was...but...I was still having some issues. Ladies...that stuff is gold to a cake decorator!!! It is expensive...and I will only use it for cakes I am getting full price for...but I cannot believe the difference...if I could get it around here...I would never use anything else...but I have to order it and the cost with shipping is just a bit much for my cake budget...LOL BUT...if u are having problems with ur frosting please give this a try...believe me... it is worth it!!! Good Luck...Linda

16 replies
LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:18am
post #2 of 17

If you have a Smith's or Kroger grocery store in your area, the Kroger brand (which is sold by Smith's) vegetable shortening has 3g of transfat, perfect for SS's recipe.
HTH with your shipping costs. icon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:30am
post #3 of 17

there's not one of those with in hours and hours for me icon_sad.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 17

You won't get the same results with that as you will with hiratio.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #5 of 17

I live in no-where North Dakota...I have to drive 100 miles either way to get to a Micheals or Hobby Lobby...and we don't have a Kroger in this state as far as I know...it's mail order or nothin...LOL

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:28am
post #6 of 17

I agree with the hi ratio it makes a world of difference. I'm still trying to perfect my sugar shack recipe, I'm getting tiny air bubbles. I've only made the recipe twice, third time is a charm (I hope!) My family noticed a difference in the icing on my last cake.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:45am
post #7 of 17

Amen to high ratio once I found it I didn't look back once they ruined Crisco.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:51am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaby59

I live in no-where North Dakota...I have to drive 100 miles either way to get to a Micheals or Hobby Lobby...and we don't have a Kroger in this state as far as I know...it's mail order or nothin...LOL

Poor thing I remember it well, we spent 12 years in Why Not Minot, boy it sure was great to come home.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 17

Aldi's brand used to have 3gm trans fat - but now has also been reformulated to show 0 trans fat. However if the label still shows partially hydrogenated oils, there is still a small amount of trans fat - it's just less than 1 gram. Guess we'll just have to see how it all works out - I suspect all producers for the grocery market will eventually go to "zero" trans fat since the food police want it off the shelf!!

debster Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 17

What are we to do when they make the high ratio trans fat free???????????????

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 17

Quick question here... Can I get almost the same result with any brand of high ratio shortning? The reason I ask, I'm in Canada and the least expensive way (that I know of) to get HR shortning is to buy the one they sell at Bulk Barn (I don't know the brand name). I didn't want to spend a lot as I don't bake to sell. Any help will be appreciated.

debster Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 17

Best results are always with the high ratio!!!!!

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 17

I live in Canada and use the high ratio shortening from Bulk Barn all the time. It's wonderful!

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:16pm
post #14 of 17

what is high ratio shortening??? how do i know what to look for?

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaby59

I also invested in that new beater blade...it does just what they advertise...

OMG you just reminded me to add this to my Country Kitchen order from this am ....so glad you shared this...Thx gotta run order it asap!!!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststarted

Quick question here... Can I get almost the same result with any brand of high ratio shortning? The reason I ask, I'm in Canada and the least expensive way (that I know of) to get HR shortning is to buy the one they sell at Bulk Barn (I don't know the brand name). I didn't want to spend a lot as I don't bake to sell. Any help will be appreciated.

I live in Ontario Canada, and I buy the HR shortening from bulk barn and it works great! Matter of fact I got so regular at my local BB that I asked the manager if I could start buying it from him by the case and he agreed...but thats a good idea only if your doing serious baking and plan on going through lots of it! BTW love your avatar pic!

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you so much The_Sugar_Fairy and G_Cakes. I probably don't need the bulk amount for now but good to know I might be able to make a deal with local BB manager if needed. I'm so excited to know I'd be able to try sugarshack's recipe without breaking the bank.
Since I have you lady's attentation, can I ask couple more question please? icon_redface.gif where can I find Crème Bouquet in Ontario? and do you buy the icing sugar in bulk from the BB or buy a brand IS like Domino? If so where do you get it from?
I guess I asked more that a couple. You guys are so helpful here in CC thumbs_up.gif , I just wish I had a lifeline like this for the life overall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%