My First Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By Rylan Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 2:10am by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:16am
post #1 of 13

I've been wanting to make this for a very long time. I'm planning on using the wedge method. I am not very good on making flowers. I was wondering what other things I can use to fill in the wedge area so it looks covered or full. Other than flowers or ribbons, what do you think would look nice? My mind is so dry right now.

12 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:35am
post #2 of 13

Wedge method?

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:22am
post #3 of 13

Hi Rylan,
I love your cakes! I'll try to be of some help here. Hmmm...I don't know what your overall design plan is but how about overlapping feathers or leaves or scales of some sort(that one maybe too weird)(maybe I shouldn't call them scales). I think it should be something you can curl or texture and give some dimension to.
Or...lace appliqué? Again, dimension/texture. You could do an overlapping ruffle of some sort.
Maybe cover it in pearls/beads?
I think thats all I have for now. I hope it helps.
Goodluck! I can't wait to see it.

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:46am
post #4 of 13

Ruffles, kind of like tissue papery???
Like this maybe?
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_161573.html

ETA: Hang on... that actually is tissue paper! LOL! I was thinking make them out of fondant, but that would be a lot easier!!

afunk Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:04am
post #5 of 13

Jo-melia, not a bad idea, but not what I was thinking. I was thinking more tailored looking, closer to the wedge. I'm not sure how to explain it. More fabric-y looking, overlapping. They could be pleated rather than regular ruffles.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:18am
post #6 of 13

Hi Ry:

I have been feeling the TT bug for a while, but my first try was a disaster lol...so now I am a bit apprehensive about trying again....

Ballymena:
the wedge method for those that don't know... it's when the cakes itself are straight... but when stacked.. you add wedges of foam cut at an angle..thus giving the topsy turvy look....

How about glass tiles???? like J. Mastubara used on FN Challenge... glass tiles made with Isomalt?
Or even a band of beads... instead of a single layers of beads... that can go from like a 4 layer band... getting less and less until it is a single layer....

or branches.... you know how you did the cake that won in the cake show.... some branches but placed sorta like a hedge.... ( u know what I mean?) I hope lol...
or even like the sugar method used on the crouquembouche (I know THAT is NOT spelled right lol... i think it's not... but I think u know what I mean)....
or even something lace.... like your light blue cake... a nice detailed lace design would look amazing....

I will keep thinking of ideas lol....
Good Luck... I know this will be a callenge because you style of cakes is super clean and perfect and I know you want something that will have the same look and feel...

afunk Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:41am
post #7 of 13

Here, this is kinda what I mean when I say scales. I like that the shape still has subtle texture. You can turn them up or down or whatever you like. You could even keep the fish shape. icon_razz.gif
It's late, but who knows, maybe this will spark some great idea.
LL

Rylan Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 13

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply...I've been gone for a while.

Thanks a lot EVERYONE for the wonderful suggestions! It definitely gave me a vision of what I want to do.

Thanks again!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 13

Oh, Rylan, are you still keeping us waiting? When I saw this thread pop back up, I thought you'd made the cake and had posted a photo. I can't wait to see it!!!!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 13

me too.. icon_sad.gif Ry... u need to give us an update... icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 13

Hi everyone. I've been slacking on posting pics (started posting again). After so many unsuccessful trials, I ended up using flowers. Here is the first topsy turvy:

http://media.cakecentral.com/gallery/682713/1284746937.jpg

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 13

Wow, Rylan, it's gorgeous!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif I still can hardly believe you've only been decorating a short while -- you've certainly found your true vocation!

Rylan Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Wow, Rylan, it's gorgeous!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif I still can hardly believe you've only been decorating a short while -- you've certainly found your true vocation!

Thanks!!! I missed you! I hope you are doing well! You always motivate me to do things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%