How About A Boost For The Cricut Expression

Decorating By Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Updated 27 May 2010 , 4:08am by ATCakes

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 16

I love my cricut expression. I seen the hype about the cake and decided to go with the expression and I'm glad I did. After all it is the reason for the cricut cake because this is what was being used. It is amazing. I'm using the cake mat and I slide the rubber thingys over on the bar so they are not in contact with the mat. I haven't had a problem with fondant getting into anything. I got my cuts on the first try, So easy to use.It cuts fondant beautiful without a hassel. Now I can use the extra money on supplies. anyone else using the expression. I would like to upload pictures but don't know how too. icon_redface.gif

15 replies
preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 16

I am so happy to hear this because I too decided to go with the Cricut Expression. I am still waiting for it to arrive but I was starting to wonder with all the hype regarding the Cake whether I had made the right decision.

superdupercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdupercakes Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 16

I have been debating about this too. I already have the Expression, but I haven't tried it for cakes yet. The issue of food safety and also I heard to remove the middle rollers, but this would invalidate the warranty. But I see where you had just slid them to the side. Did you let the fondant dry a bit before putting it through the machine or any other prep?

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 16

I would love to know step-by-step how to use the Cricut with fondant/gumpaste. I have the Cricut Expression and use it all the time, but I haven't used it with fondant or gumpaste b/c I am scared I will have a mess.

Could someone share their experience step-by-step????

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 16

I didn't have to remove them at all. I just simply slide them over. there is a package for 5.95 on ebay that will help you prep your machine without voiding your warranty and you could still use it for scrapping if you went back too it. Theres no problem with fondant getting stuck anywhere. Don't know how they came up with that one. to answer second question yes. I rolled it out let it dry a bit and it cut perfectly with no problems. The package on ebay also tells you what setting to use for your fondant, gumpaste, etc

superdupercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdupercakes Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 16

you said you purchased a package off e-bay. What is the package for?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 16

i have and use the very first cricut that came out the personal. It doesn't cut as big as the expressions (mat is only 6x12) but it serves the purpose for me, and it was cheap(under 100) when i bought it. The only other thing i have found that it wont do is mirror images that the expressions will

Frankly the cake and the expressions are the same machine. The cake doesn't have the rubber feeders in the center of the bar, and it comes with a slightly different blade housing. It also, comes with a plastic type cover that covers the controls so that you don't scum them up.

But really i think if you took the two machines apart you would find that they are basically the same.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 16

The rubber feeders I slide over and concerning the plastic cover each cartridge comes with an overlay mat to go over the keys so you don't get anything on the keys. thats just something they threw in to sell the cricut cake which is basically the cricut expression. And the fondant and mat is no where near the cartridge. To superdupercakes. the package do a comparison and shows you that they are basically the same machine and shows you how to prep your machine and the right settings for gumpaste, fondant and etc.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle1218

I would love to know step-by-step how to use the with fondant/gumpaste. I have the Expression and use it all the time, but I haven't used it with fondant or gumpaste b/c I am scared I will have a mess.

I am in the same boat...I bought the Expression just before the Cake came out...I want to learn how to use it. It cost too much to not have some idea of how to use it with the fondant and gumpaste.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulalovescake

I have posted this in another forum, but I met Linda McClure at the Maryland Cake show this weekend. The one thing I did learn was that the machines are basically the same. She had both machines side by side so I could compare them for my self. They both cut equally the same, no difference at all. I see no reason to but the Cake. The only thing to touch the gum paste is the mat and the blade. Their claim of food safe is so they can market a new product.

That is so true and so many are falling for it. Linda was the one who started using the expression and all the company did was recreated the machine and slapped the words cake too it and people went crazy. They are using food safe to market it. they just changed the look of a couple components so they could say food safe.There is another site I will post that did the same and they are the same. The expression has been used way before this so called cake came out which is really cricut. Why change cause it says cake? You can buy the cake mat to use with the expression and I don't have to roll my fondant so thin that it has holes in it. Many who have the cake is not happy with it.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle1218

I would love to know step-by-step how to use the with fondant/gumpaste. I have the Expression and use it all the time, but I haven't used it with fondant or gumpaste b/c I am scared I will have a mess.

I have upload images I cut right quick to let you guys see. As you can see they are not paper thin. They are the thicknes between a penny and nickel. I used store bought. Don't know about homemade. I will play with it today and post. simply roll out on mat and let it sit for about 25-30 to make fondant or gumpaste firm, so its not real moist. Do not fridgerate. I found that when you remove it from fridge the fondant becomes real moist and the cut is worse. Simply let it sit out. the longer the better. I set my dial for pressure and speed on #3 . very lightly grease mat. just a drop because the grease wil make the fondant/gumpaste too moist and you can't get a cut
LL

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 16

sorry the picture is so blurry. I had to keep adjusting the image to get it down small enough to upload, but you can see they are clean cuts. I will continue to post.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 16

Ok guys here is a post on CC central. With a lot of info for using the cricut basic or expression. also ther are lots of photos that they have done with their machine. If the link don't work simply click on forum then search, type in cricut cake....Picutes or just type cricut and look for cricut cake pictures.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=648533&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cricut&&start=0

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 16

Hello,

I bought the expression, but haven't tried it yet. There is an article you can buy on e-bay for $5.95 that is extremely helpful. Also Linda McClure puts out a DVD regarding this. It too is wonderful.

These articles will put your mind at ease and you can spend less money on the expression. I got mine for $250.00

Happy Caking!

Lorabell

mydor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydor Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 16

It appears that some decorators have been using the Expression or other cricut machines for years making cakes. I too bought the expression knowing that the cricut cake was coming out. I hope I made the right decision but who wants two huge machines taking up space. I even wonder if you can buy the blade for the cricut cake and put in the cricut expression. Anyone know of a lacy cartiridge to buy. I hate the little 5 petal flowers or simple details, you can do them by hand just as fast but lace is another story.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydor

It appears that some decorators have been using the Expression or other machines for years making cakes. I too bought the expression knowing that the cake was coming out. I hope I made the right decision but who wants two huge machines taking up space. I even wonder if you can buy the blade for the cake and put in the expression. Anyone know of a lacy cartiridge to buy. I hate the little 5 petal flowers or simple details, you can do them by hand just as fast but lace is another story.

I ried putting the Cake blade in the deep cut housing and it was too long. The mat wouldn't clear the blade. If you could find a way to grind it down, maybe that would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%