Any Tips On Making A Stacked Styrofoam Cake

Decorating By PiePie Updated 3 May 2010 , 2:55am by mamawrobin

PiePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiePie Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 7

I have a cake coming up that is styrofoam on the bottom two tiers and a real top tier. These will be covered in fondant. Anyone have any experience with this that could fore warn me about what not to do? Do I use a cake board under the middle styrofoam layer? Will the styrofoam offer the same soft curve on the top rim that real cake does. (I wouldn't want to have two tiers with a sharp edge and the top with a soft curved edge. )

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:25am
post #2 of 7

You don't have to have a board between the 2 styrofoam layers. You can buy styrofoam dummies that have the "fondant curve" or you can roll the styro's on the counter to smash the sharp edges into a softer edge. Also don't need to dowel under the top tier. The styro will support the cake w/o dowels.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 7

I just did a fake cake for a show and I did not use any boards between my styrofoam dummies. Just put some icing between them so they stick together. Put a cardboard under your top (real cake) tier with icing on the bottom of the board to help it stick to the dummy cake underneath.

I had a really hard time getting my fondant to stick to the styrofoam just using water (what my friend uses) so I put a thin layer of piping gel over the styrofoam and it held the fondant beautifully.

Good luck!

PS - you can take a rolling pin and roll it along the sharp edges of your styrofoam cakes to soften the edges to match your real cake.

PiePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiePie Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #4 of 7

These are great ideas! Thank you

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #5 of 7

If I'm not mistaken the new cc magazine states u can buy some sandpaper and use it around the edges of the dummy to create more of a rounded shape. U don't need any cardboard under the dummies and u can apply a thin layer of shortening or piping gel to make the fondant stick. U can use some royal icing or piping gel to make the dummies stick together once stacked

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #6 of 7

No supports needed at all. You also can take a scrap pc. of styrofoam and sand the edges down. It will work just like sand paper would.

Jen icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:55am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I just did a fake cake for a show and I did not use any boards between my styrofoam dummies. Just put some icing between them so they stick together. Put a cardboard under your top (real cake) tier with icing on the bottom of the board to help it stick to the dummy cake underneath.

I had a really hard time getting my fondant to stick to the styrofoam just using water (what my friend uses) so I put a thin layer of piping gel over the styrofoam and it held the fondant beautifully.

Good luck!

PS - you can take a rolling pin and roll it along the sharp edges of your styrofoam cakes to soften the edges to match your real cake.

I use piping gel on my dummies as well. Works great. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%