Covering The Cake Boards.....

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 1 May 2010 , 3:22pm by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 10

I'm not sure I have this in the right place or not. But, I am making a cake that will be too heavy to put on a standard cardboard cakeboard.

When you have this type of problem, what do you pros out there use?? and then what do you cover them with??

I thought about using fondant, but this cake is for my niece's wedding, and she doesn't like that idea... using the fondant covered cake boards...

So....any help will be appreciated!!!

9 replies
JodyJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodyJo Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 10

When I have bigger and heavier cakes I go to Home Depot and get them to cut me whatever size boards I need.....I use about a 1/2 inch thick board, if you buy a larger sheet and have them just do a couple different sizes it will run you about $5-$7 depending on how big of a board you get. I then cover them with fondant and trim the edges with a ribbon using a hot glue!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 10

For the bottom board I use a drum. For the boards in between the tiers I just regular cardboards.

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 10

" leah_s ".... would you mind telling me what a drum is??

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry I'm not the person you asked, but you can find cake drums at Michaels, it's several cardboards stuck together and covered with food safe foil. You can also use wood for your board, some hardware stores sell wood rounds about 1" thick. I like it covered with fondant, but know some people who brush their boards with a royal icing.
Good luck!

Bannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bannette Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 10

I use MDF (bought at Home Depot). I put small wooden candle holders on the bottom for feet (bought at Hobby Lobby). I paint them before whatever color I need, usually white or black works nice (BTW I use plastic paint it seems to hold to everthing better). I have covered with royal ( I don't like this because I can't seem to get it to smooth out as pretty as Collette Peters and you have to wait for it to dry longer). I have covered in fondant (I like this method but you still should wait for it to dry), I have also covered them in gift wrap and then covered the gift wrap with clear contact paper. I have covered them in foil too. I use foam board in between tiers.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:41am
post #7 of 10

Like Leah I use cardboard between tiers. I can't always find a drum in my area so what I do is tape about 3-5 cakeboards together and then cover them in either fanci foil or decorative paper.

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:23am
post #8 of 10

I usually get my boards from Home Depot also because they will cut it for you. I use fancy foil paper also on all of my bottom boards. If you don't have that available, you can always cover the board with freezer paper...shinny side out.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #9 of 10

i use 1/2 foam board for most of my cakes, large (multi tiered) or small, because i like to put ribbon around the edge for a finishing touch. i cover all of my boards with cheap, plastic tablecloths. $1.50, multitude of colors, food safe, wipable, cut to any size, etc. i get my foam board at michaels (w/ my coupon, it's $3) and depending on what sizes i need, i can get a few cakes out of the one board! HTH!

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 10

When you cover with fondant and cut the cake ....what prevents you from cutting the fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%