It's My 1St Star Gazer Lily... Help Please!!!!

Decorating By MZ_G_FUNK Updated 11 May 2010 , 4:10am by HamSquad

MZ_G_FUNK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MZ_G_FUNK Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 19

I TRIED TO ASSEMBLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ONE OF THE SGL. I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS BUT I MUST STILL BE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. I WRAPPED IT IN THE FLORAL TAPE BUT IT LEAVES A SMALL GAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOWER WHERE ALL THE PETALS MEET. THIS IS CAUSING MY PETALS TO MOVE AROUND. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME ON HOW TO GET IT TOGETHER SO IT WILL BE GAP-LESS AND MY PETALS WONT MOVE???? I WOULD APPRECIATE HELP FROM THOSE WHO HAVE DONE STARGAZER LILY B4. HERE ARE 2 PIX OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. I HAVE IT SITTING ON A SMALL GLASS.
LL

18 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 19

Please don't type in all capitals. It's considered yelling.

Thanks.
Rae

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 19

tape first three petals in a Y shape, you can trim the bottom of the petals to get them to fit a little snugger if needed. Then tape the next three petals so that they fall between the 1st three, they will overlap a little. You will have an absolutely beautiful flower cause your petals are gorgeous

MZ_G_FUNK Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 19

BLAKESCAKES: IF YOU SAW ALL CAPS Y DID U CONTINUE TO READ? PLUS MY CAPS BUTTON IS STUCK...TY

BALLYMENA: TY! THATS THE ONE I WENT OFF...TY 4 TAKING UR TIME TO RESPOND

PEG818: I DID THE Y SHAPE BUT NO DICE. IVE TRIED TAPING IT DIFFERENTLY AS WELL BUT THEY JUST DONT SEEM TO MEET IN THE CENTER WITH THE STAMEN. IM AFRAID TO GET THEM TO SNUG AND THEY WILL BREAK. , I THINK ITS THE WAY I SHAPED MY PETALS, THEY ARE KINDA FLAT TOWARDS THE CENTER THEN CURVE TOWARDS THE TIP...HMMMM =) TY FOR TAKING UR TIME TO RESPOND.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 19

when you shape your petals... you have to use the frilling tool to make the "throat" at the end of each petal so you can "hug" each petal around the stem...

the petals do look beautiful though... good job... it's the only thing I see that it's causing the problem... as u see your petals look the same in each tip... the bottom one needs to be shaped around a frilling tool or a think wooden skewer to get the shape to fit snug around the wire....

hth
Good Luck icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 19

also... your wire... what gauge is it? if it's too thin... it won't be sturdy enough to hold the petal and they will sag on you....

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ_G_FUNK

BLAKESCAKES: IF YOU SAW ALL CAPS Y DID U CONTINUE TO READ? PLUS MY CAPS BUTTON IS STUCK...TY

I'm sorry to hear that your cap lock is stuck..........that said, drop the attitude when someone is trying to help you, even if you don't like the help that's been offered............TY

Rae

MZ_G_FUNK Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #9 of 19

DALIS4JOE: OMG TY SOO MUCH IT MAKES SENSE AS TO HAVE IT HUGGING THE STEM. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO MAKE THE PETALS I HAVE STABLE? I HAVENT DONE ANYMORE SINCE THAT ONE BUT I DO HAVE OVER 36 PETALS...LOL AS FAR AS THE GAUGE IM USING WHAT THE TUTORIAL CALLS FOR. TY FOR TAKING TIME TO HELP ME OUT thumbs_up.gif

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:22am
post #10 of 19

MZ_G_FUNK,

Just this last weekend I took a class with Jennifer Dontz on making gum paste flowers. We made the Cymbidium Orchid, and I found it so much easier to attach the petals and tape them while holding it upside down, Jennifer showed us this, I don't know if it would work on the Stargazer or not. I am by no means an expert after one class, but doing it that way worked for me, I was able to hold the petals much closer to the stem. Your flowers are beautiful, and I hope you can get them the way you want them.

Sorry you cap button is stuck, had that happen once to me too, I took a q-tip and cleaned all around it and it helped. HTH

dalis4joe Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #11 of 19

[quote="MZ_G_FUNK"]DALIS4JOE: OMG TY SOO MUCH IT MAKES SENSE AS TO HAVE IT HUGGING THE STEM. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO MAKE THE PETALS I HAVE STABLE? I HAVENT DONE ANYMORE SINCE THAT ONE BUT I DO HAVE OVER 36 PETALS...LOL AS FAR AS THE GAUGE IM USING WHAT THE TUTORIAL CALLS FOR. TY FOR TAKING TIME TO HELP ME OUT thumbs_up.gif

Ok... let's see.... try to do another one or just unwrap the one u did... and put the stem upside down like they said in the other post... take each petal and start wrapping them... do one... then when you are going for the second one... try (carefully please don't brake them lol) to overlap the petal just a bit... don't wrap too tight... then on to the next one...

you goal it to try to make them closer without damaging the petals.. that can work if you don't wrap it too to tight.... I hope you can picture what I'm trying to say.... I know I would hate to not be able to use all those petals u already have... so let's start with this and go from there... keep using the one u already have until we can figure out a safe way to do it... let me what happens...

np in helping... I have gotten tons of help here and it's my pleasure to return the favor... icon_smile.gif

BTW: what Peg818 said can also work... so see which one u can try first...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:23am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ_G_FUNK

I changed the Post Title because it was in all caps.

I find all cap posts very difficult to read, so even though I might want to help I can't because that wall of text is just a big blur to me...

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:20am
post #13 of 19

trim each end into a v then wrap them together, it will bring them much closer together. And dont forget to overlap the 3 and 3

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:01am
post #14 of 19

Tonedna here on CC has an amazing instructional DVD on that very thing....stargazer lily and flower construction in general.
You can PM her and order that DVD.

MZ_G_FUNK Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 19

SWEETJAN: YES I WAS THINKING OF ORDERING IT BUT IT WOULDNT GET TO ME ON TIME. I NEED THESE FLOWERS BY NEXT FRIDAY icon_eek.gif

PEG818: I TRIED IT ON ONE. I MUST BE DOIN SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE TAPING.... icon_cry.gif

HOBBYCAKER: THAT IS THE FIRST WAY I TRIED TO ASSEMBLE IT BUT AS SOON I TURN IT OVER ***SIGHS PETALS MOVED SIDE TO SIDE....

DALLAS4JOE: I TRIED THAT BUT ONCE AGAIN I FAILED. I WAS THINKING AND WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION. I ARRANGED THE PETALS IN A SM GLASS. AND IT LOOKS GOOD. SO I WAS THINKING SINCE IM HAVING SUCH TROUBLE TO ADD A DROP OF ROYAL ICING TO GLUE THEM TOGETHER AND ADD THE STAMEN??? DO U THINK IT WOULD WORK??? OMG I SWEAR I DIDNT THINK IT WOULD BE SO DIFFICULT....WHAT DO I KNOW RT IM A BEGINNER...LOL

THANK YOU TO THE LADIES I MENTIONED ABOVE.....I REALLY DO APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP AND SUPPORT thumbs_up.gif

dalis4joe Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:14am
post #16 of 19

Hi..... don't worry... I think that might work.. keep it the small glass.... and once it's set how u want it to look add the RI.... but do it in steps... add some.... let it dry (to set) then add some more over the first one and let it set again.... I haven't tried that but It might work..... remember is sugar work and bakig... there are no mistakes.... only challenges to overcome... and we always find a way so let's keep at this icon_smile.gif

Also.. maybe make like a calyx under and use a green colored sugap paste and sort of place the sugarpaste (after u cut the calyx shape) under the petals? not sure if it's possible....

I'm glad that u r not giving up tho... keep going and I know we can all help u come up woth a way to salvage this....

icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #17 of 19

Beautiful flower...keep it up. I think the royal is a great idea. I do it all the time once my flowers are on a cake. I use the royal to "hold" a flower a certain way...either petals together or to get it to hold it's position.

MZ_G_FUNK Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:49am
post #18 of 19

THANK YOU DALLAS4JOE AND PEG818 CAKE, FLOWERS, AND MMF WERE DONE AND BRIDE WAS SUUPPPPER HAPPY EVEN GAVE ME A BIG TIP thumbs_up.gif ...

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:10am
post #19 of 19

Thanks dalis4joe. I read and followed this forum along with Dusky Rose tutorial, then I tried making my fondant stargazer lily I needed for my daughter's birthday cake this past weekend. Thanks ever so much, your info was great .
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%