Why Does My Floral Wire Spin Around And Around??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 5 May 2010 , 12:42pm by confectionsofahousewife

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 30

Hi all!

If you take a peek at the first few pictures in my photos you will see I have floral wire coming out of them. The wires are coated in choc. and then inserted in tea straws.

However, when I go to pick the cake up and transport it to my car...or just walk to the destination table, the wires spin and spin and spin??? This is causing a large hole in the top of my buttercream icing.

One cake I inserted a fondant ball at the base of the wires, but they still spin. All cakes are BC iced.

Please.....suggestions or solutions are appreciated.

Take care,
=)

29 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 30

I know! I have seen lots of cakes with (seemingly stable) wires coming out of the tops of the cakes but every time I've ever tried it the wires spin creating a big hole in the icing. I have stopped using the wires because I find it so annoying. I hope someone has the answer.

Mikel79 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 30

confectionsofahousewife....

Thank God!!! I am not the only one out in cake land with the same issue. I really like the look it adds to the cake, but those da*n holes are a pain!

Thanks....
=)

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:14am
post #4 of 30

I always add those wire when I reach my destination. I think the weight of the fondant decoration and the motion of the car make the holes bigger. I also fill my straws with a little bit on fondant and let it dry for a few hrs before sticking the wire in

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:43am
post #5 of 30

Great cakes btw, What gauge of wire are you using? if its too small it wont stand up to the weight, i like to place my wires in a posey pick how i like them, with some fondant squished into it, and then i pipe a little royal over the top to steady it totally icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:55am
post #6 of 30

Caths_Cakes...

Thank you! I use 18 gauge. It is a very heavy duty wire. I guess I am going to try what Cakechick123 stated....Stick them in when I get to the destination.

I like having my cake completly done before getting it to the destination, so I can take a good pic of it at home. In the event that my cakes slips, falls, trips or whatever I have a good pic of what it looked like....=)

Thanks for the help!

Mikel79 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 30

What if I make a fondant ball in advance and let dry for a few hours, then insert the wires in it and fill with melted choc. Then at the base of the fondant ball I can attach a skewer to be inserted in the cake. Do you think I will have the same problem???

Just thinking out loud.......Hoping someone did something similar with success....
=)

confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 30

I too use 18 gauge wire. Mine spin immediately upon putting them in the cake so moving the cake is not an issue. There has got to be a way to put them in there and have them stay. Too many people do this for there not to be an easier way!

Mikel79 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 30

confectionsofahousewife...

My thoughts exactly. I am trying to avoid Pm'ing each cake decorator individually asking them about wires. Hopefully someone who uses wires all the time is going to read this....

=)

Thanks

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 30

I use a flower pic and fill it half way with fondant, stick my wires in and then fill the rest with chocolate. Then stick the whole thing down it the cake. Now, they do bounce up and done, but the don't mess with my fondant, when I am transporting.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 30

I find the wires grab onto the fondant a lot better if you wrap them in floral tape. I wrap my wires, then jam them into a straw filled with fondant.

I don't deliver most of my cakes, so they HAVE TO be completely finished when they're picked up.

All the wires on this cake are 18 gauge and jammed into one hidden pillar. They didn't budge.
LL

jjsweetdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjsweetdesign Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 30

I just did my first wires today, and yes they moved around. Thanks for asking the question, because I was going to do so. I did try and use RI to cover the holes, but by the time I got to town, they were worked open again. I will try and use the fondant on the inside of the straw next time. Thanks everyone! Glad, I am not the only one dealing with this.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 30

THanks Diane. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. This may be dumb, but how do you fill the straw with fondant?

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm
post #14 of 30

Here's the trick!!

Just bend the wire about an inch from the bottom to a slight forward angle.
When it's inserted in the cake, it won't turn in circles! I just learned this trick today as I was putting stars on wires into the cake and it worked like a charm!

KimAZ

Mikel79 Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #15 of 30

Kimaz...

That is a good idea. I am going to have to try that out!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 30

Roll the fondant into a thin snake and it will slip right into the straw. Then, block off one end (by standing it up on the work surface) and push the fondant in with the dull end of a skewer.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:09pm
post #17 of 30

I squirt melted chocolate into a coffee stir straw, stick the wire in, & let it dry a few minutes.
Most of the cakes that I've stuck wire in have been BC. This only creates a very small hole & the wires don't move.

http://www.discountcoffee.com/CoffeeStirStix.htm

Mikel79 Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #18 of 30

lecrn...

I also use these type of straws. I don't know why I am having this issue. I do use melted choc. inside the straw and then insert.

The only thing is I have curved my wires at the very top to give it more of a eye catching appeal.

I wonder if I leave the wire straight, will I have the issue????

lecrn Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

lecrn...

I also use these type of straws. I don't know why I am having this issue. I do use melted choc. inside the straw and then insert.

The only thing is I have curved my wires at the very top to give it more of a eye catching appeal.

I wonder if I leave the wire straight, will I have the issue????

Hummm. I always leave mine straight @ the entrance of the straw. I don't know if that would make a difference?
I wonder if it's from the wgt of the fondant balls?

I stuck footballs on wire on this cake. The footballs were pretty heavy, but they didn't move around any. The wires were kept straight:
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1589497.html

lecrn Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #20 of 30

duplicate. sorry.

Mikel79 Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #21 of 30

lecrn....

I am sorry....I meant that I bend my wires at the very top. The wire that goes into the straw is straight.

I looked at your football cake, great cake. Love the bow!! I noticed that the football are on shorter wires. This might be a issue as well. The wires I have been using are really tall??

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1621712.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1618603.html

Thanks!

lecrn Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #22 of 30

Those are great cakes! The longest wire that I've used is this:
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1430994.html

I haven't done wire quite like yours or the cake that Diane posted. That's good to know that there's a problem in doing them this way. The only wires that I've used without a bow is straight wire.
I don't quite catch what KimAZ is saying about bending the wire. Where exactly do you bend it? icon_redface.gif

Mikel79 Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:54pm
post #23 of 30

Lecrn...

Love the cake!!

Do you insert your wires when you are done decorating and then trasport? Or, do you get to your destination and then insert the wires?

Michael

lecrn Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:

Lecrn...

Love the cake!!

Do you insert your wires when you are done decorating and then trasport? Or, do you get to your destination and then insert the wires?

Michael

Thank you.
Most of the cakes I make are picked up, but I did transport the football cake. I also have a black & white cake in my photos that I transported with the straight wires. The wires didn't move, and I've never had a complaint that the wired cakes that were picked up caused a problem.

Mikel79 Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #25 of 30

lecrn...

Thank you!

By the way, I took a look at all of your cakes. They are amazing looking!! The black and white one you talked about is in my Fav's!!!!

Is the BC icing you use Hi-Ratio?

lecrn Posted 1 May 2010 , 9:39pm
post #26 of 30

Michael,
Yes, I use hi-ratio shortening. It makes all the difference in the world. If you don't have sugarshack's dvd "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream", you must get it! I also use her buttercream recipe except I replace 1/2 of the shortening with 1/2 butter.
Thanks again for the nice compliments. icon_biggrin.gif

Mikel79 Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:24am
post #27 of 30

lecrn...

Yes I already have her DVD! It is amazing. You can tell a difference in my cakes. The latest pics are made out of the Hi-Ratio shortening. It really does make a difference.

The only thing that I had a hard time with was the measurement. This is where she measures the lowest point of the top icing. Then she marks where she needs to take the excess icing off.

I think I am getting the hang of it though.....=)

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:51am
post #28 of 30

I've used coffee stirrers since they are narrower. Tea Straws are very wide.

Sandy

lecrn Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:

lecrn...

Yes I already have her DVD! It is amazing. You can tell a difference in my cakes. The latest pics are made out of the Hi-Ratio shortening. It really does make a difference.

The only thing that I had a hard time with was the measurement. This is where she measures the lowest point of the top icing. Then she marks where she needs to take the excess icing off.

I think I am getting the hang of it though.....=)

I'm slowly getting better @ that. I just use a metal school ruler and go along the perimeter to see where lowest spot is, then make a paper template. After I make the template, I make sure that no part of the icing is lower. A lot of times, I have to take a little bit more off the template.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:42pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Michael,
Yes, I use hi-ratio shortening. It makes all the difference in the world. If you don't have sugarshack's dvd "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream", you must get it! I also use her buttercream recipe except I replace 1/2 of the shortening with 1/2 butter.
Thanks again for the nice compliments. icon_biggrin.gif

Me too, isn't it perfect? I love that recipe and so does everyone that eats it. I also use heavy cream in place of the coffee creamer and it is so creamy and falvorful, yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%