Crisco - Trans Fat

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 5:22am by JanH

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 17

How can I tell if the Crisco is the new trans-fat free version?

Should it show in the daily allowance ?

16 replies
andreac999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreac999 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 17

Yes. If there are no trans fats it will say 0 or 0% I think.

t4beatles Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 17

Buggers - then I got the trans-fat free container!

What else can we use instead of Crisco ?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:25am
post #4 of 17

i ordered Sweetex from GFS and OMG it is a dream !!! everyone of my cake testers loved it.

Geseka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geseka Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:36am
post #5 of 17

Some store brands still have trans-fat in them. That's what I use when my local kitchen shop runs out of hi-ratio shortening.

andreac999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreac999 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #6 of 17

I'm assuming you are looking for hi-ratio shortening? My understanding is that anything with 3 or more grams of transfat can be used. I just use the shortening from Aldi, which I think works fine, although I haven't tried Sweetex.

t4beatles Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:26am
post #7 of 17

Thank you all!

I'll be checking out the different brands. Guess I'll be doing some taste testing. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:05am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac999

I'm assuming you are looking for hi-ratio shortening? My understanding is that anything with 3 or more grams of transfat can be used. I just use the shortening from Aldi, which I think works fine, although I haven't tried Sweetex.

All shortening is 100% fat.

Hi ratio shortening comes in different versions: with and without trans fat.

AP shortening (like Crisco) also come in different versions: with and without trans fat.

Trans fat IS NOT what make a hi-ratio shortening different than an AP shortening. Rather it's the amount of emulsifiers in the formulas - and no AP shortening can compare to hi-ratio cake & icing shortening (Sweetex) or icing shortening (Alpine).

Here's a blurb on hi ratio:
http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/tbkhighratioicingshortening.aspx

Hi-ratio shortenings can absorb more liquid than AP without breaking down, the frosting can be perceived to be more creamy (not grainy) and the mouth feel is not "greasy."

HTH

sshelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshelley Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:37am
post #9 of 17

can u use trans fat free crisco?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshelley

I never even noticed when crisco went zero trans-fat. There were all of these posts on here with people super upset about the change and i"m on the other side going "huh? there was a change? really?" icon_confused.gif

My icing recipe works fine with crisco's zero-trans. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:56am
post #11 of 17

When i use crisco, i use butter also. and whipping cream. Never had a problem. Like indydebi, didn,t know what people were talking about . mine was not giving me a problem.

sshelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshelley Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 17

thanks indydebi

Ditto on that!! I just kept reading post about trans-fat and was wondering if it really made a difference. Your recipe is all I us now and LOVE it. Thx

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:07pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac999

All shortening is 100% fat.

Hi ratio shortening comes in different versions: with and without trans fat.

AP shortening (like Crisco) also come in different versions: with and without trans fat.

Trans fat IS NOT what make a hi-ratio shortening different than an AP shortening. Rather it's the amount of emulsifiers in the formulas - and no AP shortening can compare to hi-ratio cake & icing shortening (Sweetex) or icing shortening (Alpine).

Here's a blurb on hi ratio:
http://www.thebakerskitchen.ne.....ProdID=266

Hi-ratio shortenings can absorb more liquid than AP without breaking down, the frosting can be perceived to be more creamy (not grainy) and the mouth feel is not "greasy."

HTH

The link to your article did not work. I would love to read it. Can you provide another link or PM me?
Thanks.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshelley

I never even noticed when crisco went zero trans-fat. There were all of these posts on here with people super upset about the change and i"m on the other side going "huh? there was a change? really?" icon_confused.gif

My icing recipe works fine with crisco's zero-trans. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Ok indydebi-

Shhhh. I am going to substitute this recipe for the Wilton one and make it for my DD's cake for our class this Sunday. Let's see if she notices when she eats it. Trust me she notices any taste difference in anything (miss picky eater is her real name!) For my cake I am going to get brave and try a SMBC. If that fails, I'll just make more of your recipe!

Thanks!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:33pm
post #15 of 17

I'm with ya IndyDebi! I use the crisco sticks because I hate measuring the stuff out of the cans. I can't tell the difference in the zero trans fat or the crisco with fat.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4beatles

How can I tell if the Crisco is the new trans-fat free version?

Should it show in the daily allowance ?

Crisco switched over two or three years ago, so chances are any of the Crisco brand shortening you have used lately is trans-fat free.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:22am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

The link to your article did not work. I would love to read it. Can you provide another link or PM me? Thanks.

Fixed the broken link. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%