Good Morning Everybody

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 11:27pm by tiggy2

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:00am
post #1 of 19

does anyone know what kind of frosting is used for ice cream cakes? also do you think a cake bottom instead of cookie crumbs would hold up as the base for an ice cream cake??

18 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:25am
post #2 of 19

I've never eaten one but, I've been told that it's the whipped (Bettercreme) kind. I think a cake bottom would hold up...

There's at least one of the ice cream cake making companies actually uses cake (not cookie) for the bottom...I don't know what type of cake it is and I don't remember a name...so, maybe my comments are pointless...hmmmmmm

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:30am
post #3 of 19

I made ice cream cake for a restaurant and we used real cake, only about 1- 1 1/2 in thick and covered in a whipped topping.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 19

I've only made a couple and I used whipped topping. I love ice cream cake icon_biggrin.gif

tiggerjo Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 19

ok, so by whipped topping you mean cool whip or something else? can you actually pipe cool whip?

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 19

I used Pastry Pride on one that I made and it held up very well. It is easy to smooth with a hot knife too. I think Pastry Pride is similar to Bettercreme.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 19

You're going to have to use a stabilized whipped cream, bettercream, or, if you can stand the sweetness, you can use buttercream! I think the stablized whipped cream would be better. Cool Whip won't pipe - it's not firm enough.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 19

Whipped topping would be delish!!

And I would whip my own, not use cool whip. But it is a personal preference too. But if you whip your own, you can whip some to stiff peaks so that you can pipe it.

This makes me want to make an ice cream cake. I plan on buying the ice cream bowl for my KA. I think I'll put this on my list for summer!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 19

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2261/dairy-queen-ice-cream-cake

Good morning! This recipe might help you with your icing question.

tiggerjo Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 19

uuummmm what is pastry pride? I have never heard of that. sorry for all the questions. New soft ice cream stand opened 1 1/2 miles from my house and hubby is just full of ideas. told him he can go to fat class while I make his cakes. LOL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 19

Dixie's Icing actually makes a special icing just for ice cream cakes and sells it to Dairy Queen http://www.dixiesicing.com/Site/ProductInfo.html

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 19

tiggerjo, Pastry Pride is a premade whipped topping like icing that you just mix up and use. I think it's mostly on the west coast though. I live in California.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 19

The whipped topping we used came from Ettline foods. I was all ready to go frozen in a pastry bag with a star tip in there already. It was very popular. I think they have a cash and carry service.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 19

I have made several ice cream cakes and I use my standard yellow or chocolate recipe, then the flavor of choice for the ice cream. To frost the cake, I actually use vanilla icecream and decorate with buttercream frosting. Let you ice cream sit out for a few minutes then beat with mixer until smooth and then frost your cake. It will take a couple of coats, but it turns out nice.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 19

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in the future your subject line should really be something about what your post is about. You will get a lot more help that way thumbs_up.gif

tiggerjo Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:52pm
post #16 of 19

thanks everybody, not quite sure what I am going to do but now have a lot of options.

yes, i know bout the subject line but was just in a cheerie morning mood today. (that has since taken a turn for the worse) LOL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Dixie's Icing actually makes a special icing just for ice cream cakes and sells it to Dairy Queen http://www.dixiesicing.com/Site/ProductInfo.html

Thanks for this link. Have you watched the video on their site? It looks pretty good. I would like to order some, but can anyone tell me if you've tried it & how you liked it. Thanks.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:27pm
post #19 of 19

I took some classes from Dixie and used her icing. It tastes pretty good and is easy to smooth but it does not crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%