Hair!!

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 4 May 2010 , 6:29pm by FlourPots

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 15

Anyone have any tricks, advice, anything you can share on how to make hair? Also, any advice on sculping the body would be great, I'm not experienced in this at all and have a cake to do for Friday. (pic attached) THANKS IN ADVANCE! icon_smile.gif
LL

14 replies
jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #2 of 15

I made a bride and used royal icing for the hair. I used my smallest star tip and it worked great!
LL

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 15

I've made hair with fondant, and used a pampered chef garlic press (a clean one!!)!! Remember those Play-Doh barber shop toys, where you could squeeze the hair out of the thingy.... (yeah... that make a whole lot of sense didn't it.... sorry!!) That's where I got my inspiration from!

emmommack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmommack Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #4 of 15

For the few people that I've made with fondant, I've used both a Play-doh Fun Factory and a pasta maker for the hair...they equally work well. As far as making the bodies..there are some great video's on YouTube.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #5 of 15

I love you guys cakes! Thanks for the tips

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:36am
post #6 of 15

You can get the little clay extruders for like $10 at the craft store, they work great for hair and small details. Not really for big projects, but works great for small ones.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:38am
post #7 of 15

Cool idea about the PC garlic press...I'm actually a PC consultant. icon_smile.gif

I have one of those cheapo clay extruders. If you add some shortening to your fondant/gumpaste, it works pretty well with the extruder.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:27am
post #8 of 15

iv done a few fondant people (look in my photos, at the wedding cake, the additional photos have close ups of the bridal party) i just roll out the fondant as thinly as i can get it (using a smoother) and then place onto the head- time consuming but i love the effect!
HTH

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 15

I posted about how I made my pregnant woman (pics of the body), and how I did her hair....(scroll down): http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-675682.html

cakelady11215 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 15

you all are amazing, thanks SO MUCH for the help. Will post when complete. Fingers crossed! icon_smile.gif

cakelady11215 Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 15

well, i wound up molding the hair out of one large piece of gumpaste (was having no luck w/clay extruder - couldn't get it thru the hole!) and I was running out of time. i posted the pic, the 2nd pic shows a closer pic of the hair. will have to experiment more...and take some drawing classes! (when you see her face, you'll know why! lol). thanks everybody! icon_smile.gif

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 15

You need to add some vegetable fat, crisco I think you guys call it to the gumpaste/fondant to make it really really soft and then it will go through the holes, hth for next time

FlourPots Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 15

I always microwave my fondant before extruding, but for the yarn balls I just posted, after microwaving I added Wilton brand glycerin...man, it was the smoothest MMF to ever come out of that barrel.

cakelady11215...her hair looks great!...it looks more real than extruded hair, LOL!

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #14 of 15

FlourPots - I just love the curly hair, wish I would have had the patience for that!

Here is a girl I just made using the gumpaste strait from my extruder. I sort of layer it from the bottom of the head and up.

I add some shortening into my gumpaste to help it slide out of my extruder better.

I just love this method of hair! I want to try some updos next!
LL

FlourPots Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 15

She's adorable with an awesome head of hair, LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%