Covering Styrofoam In Fondant?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 11:38pm by Normita

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:43am
post #1 of 7

Just wondering..I saw many suggestions about how you can cut a shape out of styrofoam and then cover in fondant.
Do I apply anything to the styrofoam before covering? Like BC?

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:55am
post #2 of 7

If you are using the white pressed styro like is used for cake dummies, all you need to do is spray a light mist of water using a spray bottle and the fondant will stick.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:03am
post #3 of 7

The styrofoam I use for carving usually has bits of loose styrofoam, so I always clean it and then do a "crumb-coat" to seal in all of the loose pieces and create a smooth surface. I let the icing harden completely and then brush lightly with water and apply the fondant. Afterwards I can peel the fondant off without pieces of styro sticking to it.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 7

I also use a layer of BC under the fondant on styrofoam.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 7

I wrapped the styrofoam in tin foil to seal in the stryo "crumbs", then skim coated that w/buttercream. Fondant went on so smoothly and easily over that.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 7

No need to cover with anything before applying fondant.

Brush off bits of styro using a soft pastry brush. Massage in a nice bit of crisco. It will fill in lots of imperfections. Cover with fondant.

HTH
Rae

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 7

I also find that rubbing a bit of shortening onto the dummy works well. And also easy to come off. Pinkcake box did the same thing on her shoe box tutorial

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%