Smoothing Butter Cream

Decorating By danielan77 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 3:00am by dacash

danielan77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danielan77 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:22am
post #1 of 14

I'm rather new to cake deocrating and wonder how to smooth the butter cream where it looks flawless? I've tried the warm wet knife trick and it helps some but still can't seem to figure out how to get it really, really smooth.
Thanks

13 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 14

What kind of icing are you using? There are different kinds of butter cream and they do not all smooth in the same way. Are you using the vegetable shortening + powdered sugar stuff? It is very difficult to smooth compared to European style butter creams.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:08am
post #3 of 14

I just discovered the Melvira method and while I don't have it down perfect, it sure is making a huge difference in getting my icing smooth.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

What kind of icing are you using? There are different kinds of butter cream and they do not all smooth in the same way. Are you using the vegetable shortening + powdered sugar stuff? It is very difficult to smooth compared to European style butter creams.

Can't answer until we know what type of buttercream icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 14

If you're using a crusting buttercream, I HIGHLY recommend Melvira. Prior to Melvira'ing it, I use a bench scraper for the intial smoothing. When I watched tonedna's video, I picked up some good tips from her and my icing started looking better (welll .... except for that one crappy cake in my pics where the icing just didn't work for me at ALL that day! icon_razz.gif )

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 14

Indydebi: would you please tell us again about the kind of bench scraper you purchased? All I could remember by the time I got to the hardware store was that I needed to ask for a certain kind and that the metal one worked better than the plastic one for you, which was a surprise to you.

Rachie204 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 14

i am in the market for one as well to use prior to using the roller .....

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 14

I use a regular metal spatula scraper purchased at the hardware store.

Rachie204 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:41am
post #9 of 14

thank you tellis!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:06am
post #10 of 14

danielan77, you mentioned that you tried the "warm, wet knife trick". Assuming you meant that literally...the blade must be super hot from being in boiling water, then quickly wiped on a cloth so it's dry before touching the cake. And once the water starts to cool, it doesn't work as well. Does that help you with this method? icon_smile.gif

dacash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dacash Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #11 of 14

whats a good recipe for a non-crusting buttercream?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:22am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacash

whats a good recipe for a non-crusting buttercream?

IMBC and SMBC are both non-crusting.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:33am
post #13 of 14

I have tried many different tricks, including the roller.....but find the viva paper towel works best for me

dacash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dacash Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #14 of 14

IMBC and SMBC are both non-crusting.[/quote]

thx!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%