Mexican Chocolate Cake - Tips Please

Baking By klj0207 Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 3:47am by prterrell

klj0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klj0207 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #1 of 2

I had someone ask me to make a mexican chocolate cake. I had never heard of it, but they basically told me that it has buttermilk, and nuts in it. So I googled it and found several recipes, but most of them were basically the same. I found on on here and the only difference between several of the ones I found was one of them had 1 tsp of baking soda and baking powder, and the others only had 1 tsp baking soda. The other difference were the icing recipes:

1/4 c. butter
2 tbsp. cocoa
3 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. chopped pecans

OR

1 stick butter
2 sq. unsweetened chocolate
6 tbsp. milk
1 lb. (box) confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Now, the other thing is I asked a friend of mine her advice. She used to work at a bakery and she is hispanic. She told me to get mexican chocolate, and melt some and add it to the cake batter...but didn't tell me how much, she told me to use my judgement...but I have no clue! I don't want this person to be disappointed if I mess this cake up. Thoughts?? And do I add the nuts to the icing or put them on top??

1 reply
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:47am
post #2 of 2

Unfortunately, this is going to be one of those cakes that does not have a definitive description or recipe.

To evoke the flavors in the flavors of Xocolatl, the beverage that the Mayans made from cocoa, the cake should include vanilla, cayenne chile powder, annato, and cocoa nibs, in addition to the chocolate.

IBARRA brand chocolate, while designed to make Mexican-style hot chocolate, could be used as the chocolate in a Mexican chocolate cake, as it contains cinnamon and nibs. I would use it in place of regular baking chocolate in a cake recipe, substituting directly, ounce for ounce.

Nuts were also sometimes ground with the other ingredients in the original chocolate, but I am not sure what nuts those would have been, but pecans seem to be linked with this cake, so I would stick with those.

I did find a well-rated recipe on epicurious, but I myself have not made it. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mexican-Chocolate-Cake-109342

This recipe from allrecipes is also highly rated, but I have not made it, either.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-chocolate-cake/detail.aspx

I hope this helps you out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%