How Do I Make A Cake That Will Not Ruin In August...........

Decorating By CraftyAFWife Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 12:57am by eccl1-12

CraftyAFWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyAFWife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 3

I wanted to make my own wedding cake since I have the Cricut Cake. I need some advice though.

I wanted to make a 3 tier square cake but I was worried about the fondant in August. The wedding will be in Colorado where the humidity is pretty low compared to most states. The wedding is outside though and in August it could be 80's or 90's. The wedding will be a late afternoon wedding around 4 or so.

I was wondering if it is possible to make the cake a couple days in advance. But since I can not freeze the fondant how would I store it until the wedding day. I was also wondering how bad the wedding being outside would take a toll on the cake. Will the fondant begin to melt or anything. Is there any specific recipes or brands that can hold up better? I have been experimenting like crazy but since it is only April, I can not test the weather.

Any advice, PLEASE?!?!?!?

2 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 3

Ok, so fondant is definitely the best choice for outside. I'm not sure that one brand is more heat resistant than another. Be careful what you use under the fondant, however. No meringue based buttercreams with real butter, for example...this could cause the fondant to slouch, puddle, etc. I would recommend using ganache or a crusting bc with hi-ratio shortening. Ganache should hold up into the mid-90's, the hi-ratio bc even higher - check out Indydebi's frosting recipe in the recipe section, I forget the name of it but it is supposed to hold up real well.

It sounds as though you have some experience with cakes, since you have a Cricut cake - this is a serious investment. Square cakes are harder than round cakes - gotta get those corners sharp! If you don't have the experience you might switch to rounds, way easier for a novice.

I wouldn't advise freezing the cake with the fondant on. You can bake ahead and do the icing coat, then freeze, take out a couple of days before, thaw in refrigerator and then fondant.

Make sure the cake is displayed out of direct sunlight and undercover (tented?). Bugs will be attracted to it, I'm afraid, not much you can do about that. Put it out as late as possible and, if it IS a really hot day, be prepared to get your photographs taken of the cake as quickly as possible and you might need to move up your cake cutting time if it starts to show heat issues.

Best wishes for your wedding.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:57am
post #3 of 3

Best wishes to you, I made my own wedding cake too. I agree with toptier; good advise. Having made my own cake I also recommend baking the cakes ahead and freezing them until you need them. Cake is not going to be the only thing you have to do that last few days. I have not used Cricut, but if the decorations that you are putting on the cake can be made in advance that would also be a help. Finally, just don't stress out about it. If your cake doesn't come out exactly like you planned, or if you take all the precautions and you still have to eat it with a bowl and a spoon, just be ready to laugh. Marriage is more important than cake, and laughing over the small stuff is great practice for the years to come. Congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%