Where Do I Take Cake Decoration Classes? College Or Wilton

Decorating By fafa1 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 4:36am by Ballymena

fafa1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fafa1 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 9

I am interested in cake decoration and I was wondering where to take the classes. College or Wilton?

8 replies
TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 9

I'd say a local cake shop that does them icon_smile.gif I'd skip the wilton ones.. JMHO..

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:00am
post #3 of 9

Wilton is a great place to start. There are several options to choose from and they aren't a huge investment. It's 8 hours of instruction per course and the cost for the instruction is very affordable. Check out your local craft stores, JoAnn's, Michael's or Hobby Lobby and check the prices. Then compare this to the cost of going to your local college for classes.

I know this weekend JoAnn's is offering Course 1 for $22.50 + the cost of your supplies. The other courses are being offered for half price + cost of supplies.

If you love it after your first Wilton class, then you can expand your knowledge with more in depth classes offered by colleges or cake shops.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:01am
post #4 of 9

I think all classes depend upon the teacher. I started with the Wilton Classes with a good teacher. Learned the basics. Where I lived at the time, didn't have any private cake shops that offered classes. Even the Hobby Lobby was 45 minutes from my home. Since then, I have taken specialty classes from various teacher (Jennifer Dontz is one of my favorites.)

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

Wilton is a great place to start...
If you love it after your first Wilton class, then you can expand your knowledge with more in depth classes offered by colleges or cake shops.

I agree...BUT check out what your local college is teaching. Our local community college's curriculum is pretty much just like Wilton's for a lot more money. If that's the case then you might as well go with a craft store and use the savings to buy cake stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

fafa1 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:26am
post #6 of 9

Thanks guys, I get enrolled in a local cake decoration class in dallas, TX. Thanks for your advice.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 9

I would recommend Wilton cake classes to start out too. In the end I don't think you ever stop learning. But I have had two professionals (CIA grads) recommend Wilton to me in the last week. Both of them also took the Wilton classes too.

So, Wilton, local Community College (I wish ours taught something like that), local bakeries - whatever you can find. Even DVDs. There is nothing in my area except the Wilton classes and I have to start somewhere.

The best advice I got was to take a photo of everything you do. I'm even taking photos of my practice work. The lady I'm taking classes from at Michaels got her Wilton job by having a portfolio of her work.

fafa1 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks LindaF144, I will take pictures of all my work. Keep working hard.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:36am
post #9 of 9

I agree on the Wilton classes, a great place to start. You will find that a lot of local or small cake shops or a community college also teach Wilton classes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%