Graduation Cake-Want To Do A Scroll, Need Help!!

Decorating By sweettoothtreats Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm by tigerhawk83

sweettoothtreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothtreats Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 5

So, I'm new to the sight, but I LOVE cake decorating. I made it my New Year's resolution....and so far the ONLY one in my life I've kept!! that I am getting more comfortable, some people are asking me for cakes for money (wahoooo). My next cake...Grad School graduation cake. I wanna do a really great job.

I plan on making a 6" cake with a flat, molded chocolate top (to look like a grad hat). But, I also want to add a "paper" scroll to the cake. I have little experience with fondant and NONE with gumpaste. However, I'm not sure how to go about this, or which of the 2 Fondant or GP to use.

Can someone please help me? I'd love some advise to advance along my knowledge. Thank you.

4 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 5

I know you are talking about doing a scroll with fondant, but I just had the thought- what if you did something like a yule log where it is a cake rolled jelly-roll style? Could be fun or could be over the top. As far as doing it out of fondant, I don't have a clue unless you made a solid log of it and painted it on the ends to look like a scroll. I can tell you that a solid fondant log may try to go flat before it dries, so maybe gumpaste and set it in a deep bed of cornstarch??? HTH at least a bit. I have never done it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 5

Honestly your best bet would be to just get some rice paper and roll that up, it's edible and it looks exactly like paper!

Or you could roll gumpaste really thin and use that, if you're leaving the scroll open you could attach an edible image to it with the Graduates information and have it really look like a diploma...or you could leave off the edible image and roll it up. Your best bet is going to be to roll it around a form (like a tube with plastic wrap on the outside of it) that you could pull out once it was hard, to leave a hole in the center.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:46am
post #4 of 5

Rice paper works great. I just make a scroll earlier this week.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 5

Get a hold of the 2009 Wilton Yearbook - there is a scroll cake in there with the instructions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%