Freezing A Decorated Cake?

Decorating By Marla505 Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm by Marla505

Marla505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 5

Is it possible to freeze a decorated cake? I have been asked to do a graduation cake but I will be gone that day and the 6 days prior. If you can..which type of frosting & decotations shoulc I use? Thanks!

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 5

Grocery stores and Wal-Mart freeze decorated cakes all the time. Sure you can.

katwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #3 of 5

Has anyone every froozed a MMF cake before I might be coming up with the same problem, or how many days they can be stored in a fridge maybe?
Thanks

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:07am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwo

Has anyone every froozed a MMF cake before I might be coming up with the same problem, or how many days they can be stored in a fridge maybe?
Thanks

I freeze my MMF covered cakes all the time. I just wrap well with Glad seal and wrap then put them in a cake container (I do this for a 2-3 weeks usually) and the taste is no different. When I take it out, I let it thaw in the wrappings, then take the wrapping off after a few hours and then condensation comes off on the wrapping. It may be a bit tacky to the touch, so just let it air dry for a couple of hours. Then you can put on any additional decorations (RI) or ''paint'.
I have also put MMF in the fridge, but the fridge dries cake out faster. I'd rather leave a couple days on the counter (if no perishable filling/icing) than in the fridge. But freezing (even for a couple of days) is your best bet. You extend the life of the cake! HTH

Marla505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for the good advice! I shall freeze away!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%