Small Dots All Over Cake

Decorating By AdrianaPersaud Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm by mama2_3

AdrianaPersaud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdrianaPersaud Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a two tiered stacked cake with ribbon around the bottom. The cake will be white buttercream with the ribbon trim being dark blue. The party colors are blue, white and silver, so I wanted to add small silver dots all over the rest of the cake. My question is, I'd like the dots to have somewhat of a symmetrical look, but how do I do that? Is there a way to measure out and mark the cake with where the dots will go without ruining the surrounding icing?
Thanks!!

5 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 6

I heard that people use graph paper and mark every so often before they actually pipe the dots on the cake.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 6

You can also purchase an impression mat that will mark where your dots will go.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 6

sugarshacks site has a mat I ordered one over the weekend.

btsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btsmama Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #5 of 6

I am doing the same type of cake this weekend! I saw a video on youtube where they just started at the very bottom, and pipe all the way around in a single line (just above your ribbon). Then they came in, about 1" above that line and put a dot in between the dots on the bottom line....

. . . . . .
. . . . .

like that, does that make any sense? I wish I could find the video!

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsmama

I am doing the same type of cake this weekend! I saw a video on youtube where they just started at the very bottom, and pipe all the way around in a single line (just above your ribbon). Then they came in, about 1" above that line and put a dot in between the dots on the bottom line....

. . . . . .
. . . . .

like that, does that make any sense? I wish I could find the video!

I saw that one too. Basically you just start at 12,3,6,9 o'clock. Then fill in half way between each dot and so on until you have the number you want in the first line. Then just go up an inch and put a dot centered between each of the dots below it. This method would work with any size cake and you could vary the number of dots used according to how you want it to look. HTH and hope it makes sense. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%