My Mistake... Now What?

Business By Destinys_Delights Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm by Sagebrush

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone!! I had a wedding cake consultation this past Saturday, and everything went fine. But I realized when I got home that I made a big mistake. while we were talking about the price, I had quoted them for a 6, 8, 10, 12 inch rounds and a 14 inch square on the bottom. The 14 inch square would be a dummy cake. When they found out the price they took off the dummy cake and just made it 4 tier so I re-quoted them the price. But before I left we had changed it to a 6" round, 8" hex, 10" round and a 12" square. But I never realized that I didn't give them a new quote for the change in the hex and square pans which makes more servings than the rounds. Do I have to just suck it up as a loss, and only charge them what I quoted or do I go back and tell them I didn't add in the changes and give them a new quote. They haven't signed the contract yet. Sorry so long. Thanks for your help

12 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 13

Go back with a new quote. Mention that you did not give them an updated quote with the last changes they made and you want to make sure they have a firm price from you.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 13

NO way, don't suck it up.............I would email/call them asap and tell them that you forgot to give a new quote after they changed up the shapes again and that the new number of servings is XXX and the new quoted price is XXXX

Call them!

missantoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missantoinette Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 13

If you think that the cost of your cake to make it yourself won't be crushing,then I would say to leave it at the set price and tell them what your mistake was. At the end of it all they are happy customers and you can look forward to refferals after when the cake is done. It has happened to me before and the couples are always very appreciative of the gesture. keep the customers happy that is key.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 13

I would say (as a customer) too bad thats what you quoted me I want that price or i'll go elsewhere.which then you probably say................ see yah !!!

As a baker: I would call them and explain the situation and give a new quote.

Is the price is not much of a difference then I would say let it go. JMO

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 13

The hexagon isn't going to give you more servings than a round. The difference between a 12" round and 12" square is approximately 16 - 20 servings. Personally, I would let it slide because it wouldn't impact my profit margin enough to warrant upsetting the client. But you have to base your decision on how much you charge per serving, and if it will significantly impact your profit. Is this bride one that you would think would be understanding or a bridezilla?

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #7 of 13

I've had this happen before. Just emailed them an "Oh, by the way" email with a summary to clarify what you discussed, what you have down on paper, and then a finalized quote.
I truly as the bride wouldn't expect you to eat the cost, especially if I kept changing my mind.
A quote is a quote- if they change sizes, the price changes.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:25am
post #8 of 13

This is why I do not give a price quote at a consultation. I gather information and tell the bride that I will get back to her with a quote within 48 hours. That way you have time to breath and calculate without the pressure of their waiting for the price.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 13

As a customer,
I would totally understand.
Especially if they changed the shapes/servings after the initial quote.
You need to email them and send them an updated quote "reflecting the changes that were discussed at the end of the consultation".
If the cost difference bothers them so much they can go back to the round

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 13

If the difference isn't a big one, as MCC mentioned, then I would let it slide. But I would mention upon pick up/delivery/or just email them with final details, that you did make a mistake with the quote and inform them just how much they are getting for free.

Maybe they'll be cool and pay you the difference anyway.

If it is a big difference, then yes, I would give them a new quote.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 13

I agree with LKing.. I always let them know that I will email them the quote with a recap of what we went over...

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 13

How much $ difference are we talking? If it's only a few $, I'd probably let it slide.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #13 of 13

I'd say Auryn's wording sounds professional, doesn't make it look like you made a mistake or forgot, and whether they realized there should have been an updated quote or not, would look to them like they should have expected it.

The only problem would be if you re-iterated the price AFTER the changes were discussed. In that case, I would eat the difference. As a customer, I would feel like you were pulling a bait and switch in that case, and would likely choose to go with a different baker just on principle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%