Coolwhip Filling

Baking By iris711 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm by iris711

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 14

Has anyone done a filling for a cake made of coolwhip with crashed oreos? My new client requested this and I don't know how it would stand in the heat.

13 replies
Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:49am
post #2 of 14

Fortunately for you, I have tried this. It was unfortunate for me...because it was an AWFUL IDEA! The coolwhip, as you know, must be refridgerated at all times. It will not stand up to even room temperature. Knowing this fact, I thought I would get away with it by refridgerating the cake after it was filled and crumb coated. Well, that didn't work either. The chemical make up of the coolwhip breaks down inside the cake and gets sucked into the cake layers. This was explained to me by another caker who had the same thing happen to her. It's not a fun thing to have to deal with.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #3 of 14

I would try a product by Rich's called Bettercreme (that is not a typo). If you have a bakery-free standing or in a grocery store, I would ask about it. You can get it pre-whipped or as a frozen liquid. I have had luck buying a pound or two at a time-the crushed cookies can be folded into it. It is stable a room temp for 5 days-not sure about outdoors though...I wouldn't try it!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 14

Try this. I call it faux Bavarian cream.

Mix 1 cup whole milk with 1 4-serving size package of vanilla instant pudding mix until smooth. Then fold in 1 regular sized tub or original Coolwhip.

You can then fold some crushed Oreos into the faux Bavarian to make a cookies 'n cream filling.

This will stand up to the heat much better, BUT you still get 4 hours total time from the time the cake leaves the fridge. If the left over cake is not put up and refrigerated before that 4 hours are up, they must be discarded.

iris711 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the recipe from prterrell, hope it works and taste good. The client has done the coowhip and the crashed cookies herself, but I guess it's refrigerated and then eaten right away, not stand for a while outside of the refrigerator. All I can do is try it myself and see how long it would stand outside. icon_biggrin.gif

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 14

Hi! I just made an oreo filling from this website that was designed for a beach wedding and does not need refrigeration. It was very good, though I did add some extra vanilla and a 1/2 tsp. of butter flavoring. I don't know how to attach it, but if you search for it under recipes and "oreo filling" you should find it. It has marshmallow fluff, water, shortening, vanilla, powdered sugar and crushed oreos. Very yummy.

iris711 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks, sounds yummy, I will try it too, this way I can see which one stands longer in the heat.

iris711 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:34am
post #8 of 14

Sorry to say but it did not work well. I was building a purse and it fell together, so I removed the filling and apologized to the client. Will try it again. thanks everyone. The purse came out fabulous. check it out.
LL
LL

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:01am
post #9 of 14

I use Frosting Pride. It is a nondairy whipped topping and filling. I get it at Smart n Final. Stands up just really well, just make sure you whip to a firm peak, or it will break down some.

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:10am
post #10 of 14

look i ve done something kind of similar but see, have you watched perfecting the art of buttercream? ok u know how she does the border of the filling if not wet to prevent bulging you add some more sugar to a little regular buttercream recipe, to make it stiffer then you pipe the edge of the filling. Now you take some heavy whipping cream whip it add some sugar to make it kind of stable then you add the pieces of oreo and put it as a filling and it tastes delicius very sweet but deliciuos. But remember the secret is to make a very sturdy edge with the buttercream so that the filling does not flows or bulges. Hope I helped. Good luck

ladyk333 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:32am
post #11 of 14

Which recipe did you end up using for the filling? Did it bulge out? I'm just wondering if you used a good thick line of buttercream to prevent it from leaking? I'm asking because I'm using the oreo filling this weekend coming up for a birthday cake and want to make sure I don't wreck a cake! The one I used the filling in before worked out just great . . . If you don't mind letting me know that would be great!

Thanks!

ladyk333 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:34am
post #12 of 14

sorry, my questions were for Iris! by the way, very cute purse!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:19am
post #13 of 14

How finely did you crush the Oreo cookies?

iris711 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks Dalig I will try it your way.

Ladyk333 I used the cool whip already made from the supermarket and crushed the oreo cookies, I added instant vanilla putting mix with milk as per the recipe here in cc. but it bulged out and the cake fell apart. What Dalig is saying makes a lot of sense maybe if I would have used the heavy cream with extra confessioners sugar and the heavy buttercream. I will try it again this weekend and will let you know.

thanks everyone for all your tips. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%