Cake Cricut..do You Have One?

Decorating By ktbug Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 1:39pm by Dizzymaiden

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 34

I just discovered the cake Cricut!! I am super excited about it...I would love to buy one right this second. However, I thought I better do my research. Does anyone else have one? Can you post pics of your cricut creations? I am curious to see what all it can do. Thanks for the insight!

http://www.cricut.com/cricutcake/

33 replies
Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 34

I received my cricut cake in the mail yesterday. I posted my results here http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-676755-.html (It's the picture all the way at the end, not the first pic) I was not happy with the results, but I have not played with it enough yet. I also used fondant not gumpaste. icon_smile.gif The machine is beautiful and the cartridge that was included has beautiful patterns. icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 34

I got mine on HSN for the early price. I won't get it in the mail for another week :.(

But I will share my photos as soon as I can. I will be using mine to decorate cookies. I love the idea of layering!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 34

Mine won't be shipped until the 1st week in May!! icon_cry.gif

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 34

Mine was scheduled to arrive the 28th of April, but received it about 2 hours ago! What a suprise. Haven't opened it yet, not sure why. I also purchased the additional extended mats and tool kit. I was pleased to see them arrive as well. I look forward to finding some time to try it out. If you enter "cricut" into the CC search bar you can click on "gallery" and find several cakes already posted that have used the Cricut Cake or Cricut Expression Machine. I'm sure many more will soon follow.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 34

You can also cut modeling chocolate.

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 34

what is different about this over the regular one that scrapbookers use ????

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 34

Mine should be here this afternoon!!! (HSN)

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 34

I am getting mine the 1st week of May. I don't mind waiting because I got a good price. I have the smaller regular cricut that I use but am getting the cake for a few reasons: it's food safe, you can use thicker gumpaste, plus it's 12 in wide and my other one is only 6 in wide. I like to use modeling chocolate and gumpaste. I even used straight Satin Ice that I let sit on the mat for about 15 minutes last weekend.

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiscakes

I was at a cake show this weekend and one of the demonstrators had the Cricut Expression and the Cricut Cake machines side by side. We were able to compare the two machines. Very little difference in construction (I am not buying the food safe hype) and both machines took the same mat and cut with a blade. We could not even tell any difference with how it cut the gum paste. I am so glad I got to see this and feel very comfortable with my Expression.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 34

Mine just arrived!!!!! I ordered on 14th and was told it should be here on April 26th. But, when I checked my tracking on UPS I couldn't believe it was scheduled to arrive today.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncaillouet

Quote:

I was at a cake show this weekend and one of the demonstrators had the Expression and the Cake machines side by side. We were able to compare the two machines. Very little difference in construction (I am not buying the food safe hype) and both machines took the same mat and cut with a blade. We could not even tell any difference with how it cut the gum paste. I am so glad I got to see this and feel very comfortable with my Expression.

Me Too! I'm not buying it neither. they are making thousand off the exact same machine that sells for less. I have the circut expression and I'm satisfied. Same results without killing my wallet.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #13 of 34
Quote:

Quote:

I was at a cake show this weekend and one of the demonstrators had the Expression and the Cake machines side by side. We were able to compare the two machines. Very little difference in construction (I am not buying the food safe hype) and both machines took the same mat and cut with a blade. We could not even tell any difference with how it cut the gum paste. I am so glad I got to see this and feel very comfortable with my Expression.

Me Too! I'm not buying it neither. they are making thousand off the exact same machine that sells for less. I have the circut expression and I'm satisfied. Same results without killing my wallet.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 34

Received mine last week but other than unpacking it and looking at everything, haven't had time to try it. Hopefully, this weekend. Not sure what makes Cricut Cake food safe as opposed to Expression, but I think that it is made with more stainless steel parts and has covers for the keys and cartridges to keep out food particles.

I don't know what other health departments are like, but if you have a licensed cake business that is inspected by a health department, you should use equipment that is designed to be food safe. (I used to have small coffee shop/cafe for six years, and our health department was very strict!!) I have a lot of flower petals to cut for a cake in June so I am hoping this will be a time saver.

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 34

All the talk about food safe and the health department makes me grin. Many of us use frosting sheets that we put through a printer. I don't think you can sanatize a printer. My cricut mat is clean and my cricut blade is clean. That is the only thing to touch my gum paste. I know Provo Craft wants us to believe that we have to have a new product to do what we have been doing for a long time. When my Expressions wears out I may get the Cricut Cake machine, by then the price should be very reasonable.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #16 of 34

my friend got hers today that she ordered with the hsn special of the day, BUT on looking at her reciept she says they charged her $384 for it, before tax, she could have sworn it was $299, does any one have their reciept handy from HSN. how much was it for the special?

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:15am
post #17 of 34

That was the bundal special on HSN. Thats what I paid. I got mine today. I can't wait to play. Been watching my cricut DVD. Have read alot of posts here. I think its going to be great to do my cakes. thumbs_up.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:15am
post #18 of 34

Mine form HSN came today. I am pretty sure it was 384.

Unpacked it but was way to busy to play with it today. icon_sad.gif

Hoping soon I will have some free time.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #19 of 34

The special was $384.95 before tax.

Ivy383 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:25am
post #20 of 34

The special was 384.95

I used a 15% off coupon and paid $334.95. (with HSN)

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:31am
post #21 of 34

Where did you get a coupon? Thanks!

Ivy383 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:40am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123

Where did you get a coupon? Thanks!

It was emailed to me by HSN the day before. Some people got it when they registered for the first time on HSN.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:46am
post #23 of 34

Oh Wow! Thanks for letting me know!

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #24 of 34
Quote:

All the talk about food safe and the health department makes me grin. Many of us use frosting sheets that we put through a printer. I don't think you can sanatize a printer. My mat is clean and my blade is clean. That is the only thing to touch my gum paste. I know Provo Craft wants us to believe that we have to have a new product to do what we have been doing for a long time. When my Expressions wears out I may get the Cake machine, by then the price should be very reasonable.

they have been advertising the regular cricut expression on tv all week and they actually have a guy in the advertisement who states he uses it for his bakery. also I seen the clip of them at the opening and they were asked. The only thing they stated different is the mat has no adhesive, which you can take the adhesive off the orginal one. and the key covering, which when you purchase the cartridges you get a key covering mat. and that the cartridge has extra covering around the area it sticks into. Nothing to spend a whole lot of money trying to get. They are actually advertising it for bakery. I will post the timing so you can view for yourself.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:47am
post #25 of 34

The blade is also different on the cake cricut.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:05am
post #26 of 34

I ordered mine on the HSN premier on the 14th also for $385 before tax.

Mine says backorder and wont be here till May 7th icon_sad.gif

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #27 of 34

Ugh! I'm so jealous! ... we just bought a house so i'm sure the hubs won't be buying me anything fun for awhile ;( .... although, my anniversary is coming up icon_wink.gif lol

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:25am
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlow001

Ugh! I'm so jealous! ... we just bought a house so i'm sure the hubs won't be buying me anything fun for awhile ;( .... although, my anniversary is coming up icon_wink.gif lol

I know what you mean . We just moved in to our new house 3 months ago after 6 months of remodeling it.

I didn't buy mine, I wouldn't have spent $400 right now after putting out so much moving.....My mom did. She said she wanted me to have one... My mom ROCKS!!!!!!!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:26am
post #29 of 34

there was another price that day, if you go to HSN.com you can view the program to see the way the pricing was set up.

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:20am
post #30 of 34

I bought mine from HSN, it should arrive 4/26.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%