What Airbrush Do You Recommend?

Decorating By bpoff Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm by Jaimelt76

bpoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpoff Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 12

Hello folks!

I'm a long time board lurker, but first time poster. Please be gentle with me!

I've decided to take the plunge and invest in an airbrush machine, but I'm curious what brands you folks recommend and why. I know KopyKake has the Airmaster line, which I've seen used in the local Walmart/grocery store setting. I wasn't sure if they were the best on the market, or if there was something better than everyone here was using.

Thanks in advance and feel free to blast me if I'm not following proper board etiquette!

Thanks!

Bryan

11 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 12

I a in the same boat; I have been looking all week but I have no idea what to but. Im afraid if I buy a cheapy pippi one (meaning little compressor) Im going to regret it and eventually buy a bigger better one.

So far I have my eye on this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001THQ5FM/?tag=cakecentral-20

but I'll see.

Good luck

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 12

The gun with the trigger on it in that kit is useless. A lady in a class I took had it and wasn't to participate it was so bad.

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 12

I prefer airbrushes with dual action (it means you have to press and pull back, so the colour comes out). I heard that the KopyKake is only single action. If you're just starting out, I'm sure it'll be fine, but if you're thinkig on investing in a good product, may as well buy a proper equipment. Lots of brands out there: Iwata, Paasche, Badger, and all of these have dual trigger (you can also get them at your art supply stores). I myself have the Iwata and have the Silver Jet compressor. This compressor is not as crazy strong as the regular ones out there, so it will be great for spraying on fondant. This is just my opinion. My suggestion is still definitely do research, and lots of it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 12

Here's a thread with a lot of info on air brushes http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608279-aztek.html+470

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 12

I have 2...I have a very basic and kind of generic double action airbrush that I got from Airbrush City (online). I also have a Grex - which might be the one the earlier post was talking about - with the trigger. I like the Grex - it has a very smooth action, and if you're doing a lot of work, is designed so that your hand will not fatigue as easily. But it takes a little getting used to if you're more familiar with a double action.

I definitely recommend a double action - you're able to have more control.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 12

My first airbrush I got from harbor freight with the compressor for like $70. It was an okay one to start with. Well it broke one day while I was making a cake and needed a replacement fast. My hubby went to Napa as that is the only place in my small town or within a 100 mile radius that sell airbrushes. He bought me a paasche airbrush and I think he paid like 30 for it and I love it. It sprays luster dust so nice through it unlike my old one that would spit it. HTH and good luck on choosing as their are so many good ones out their.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 12

I have been keeping track of that thread that tiggy2 Posted, for a while now and after reading through all ten pages this is the Airbrush that is highly recommended.

http://www.bearair.com/prodinfo.asp?number=100259

You do have to buy a compressor separately, and make sure it has a moisture trap, continue reading the thread and you will also find good compressors recommended.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93657

bpoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpoff Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you very much for the responses! Now I know what I need to save up money wise!

Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

My first airbrush I got from harbor freight with the compressor for like $70. It was an okay one to start with. Well it broke one day while I was making a cake and needed a replacement fast. My hubby went to Napa as that is the only place in my small town or within a 100 mile radius that sell airbrushes. He bought me a paasche airbrush and I think he paid like 30 for it and I love it. It sprays luster dust so nice through it unlike my old one that would spit it. HTH and good luck on choosing as their are so many good ones out their.

I had no idea that air brushes could spray DUST!!! icon_eek.gif I thought it was only liquids! Well, that's even more exciting for me icon_smile.gif I don't have one yet, still waiting on the perfect one.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 12

I have a Kopy Kake airbrush with the airmaster compressor, love both. Make sure you get a moisture filter for the hose, very important.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 12

[quote="Calgary_Mama
I had no idea that air brushes could spray DUST!!! icon_eek.gif I thought it was only liquids! Well, that's even more exciting for me icon_smile.gif I don't have one yet, still waiting on the perfect one.[/quote]

I mix the luster dust with vodka first to spray through the airbrush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%