Substitute For Gelatin!!! I Cant Eat It!!!!

Baking By natsplat Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 1:30am by sammie192

natsplat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natsplat Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so i see alot of recipe's that require gelatin and i cant eat it due to religious beliefs. So i was wondering if anyone new of any substitutes i can use for gelatin.

I do use the kosher jello sometimes for like strawberry cake but i doubt i can use that kind of gelatin for chocolate mousse or gum paste etc....

Please if you have any ideas please let me know thanks alot!!!! thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure all gelatin works the same, but I know there is a fish gelatin you can get. (I think you could order that online as a powder). Can you eat that?
I think you can substitute gelatin with different things, depending on the recipes. I make my fondant with a fruit pectin, but only one brand has worked for me. There is also agar agar, which is a thickening agent, but they don't work exactly like gelatin. So again, it depends what you need it for. HTH

SugarLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLand Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 9

You may want to check around. We have a store here in Texas, HEB that carries kosher unflavored gelatin. It is their own brand and I use it as well for all of my fondant.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 9

You may want to look at some vegan websites and see if they have suggestions.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 9

agar-agar

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 9

hi I use a kosher beef gelatin by great lakes you can get on www.amazon.com or www.GreatLakesGelatin.com

natsplat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natsplat Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks guys i just got into this cake thing so i have no idea what to do sometimes. hahaha. but i will definately look into the stuff listed. One more question, so can i use the unflavered kosher jello gelatin?

maidofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maidofcake Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 9

Have you tried agar agar? It is seaweed derived.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #9 of 9

for me agar -agar didn't work for fondant . the unflavered gelatin I did buy but did not use it because I found greatlakes I use mff recipes and it turned out great. I did buy kosher mm 's they are very costly. if unsure try the unflavered gelatin. the only way is to try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%