Cupcake Transport Question

Baking By gin2ham Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 10:14pm by gin2ham

gin2ham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gin2ham Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 17

Hi everyone,

I am very new to making cupcakes and would very much appreciate all your inputs. I will be making cupcakes for my friend's party, the problem is she lives 5 hrs away from us. We will be driving to their place and I was not sure what's the best way to transport the cupcakes?? I will be baking the cupcakes a day before and icing them as well (buttercream). I will also be putting gumpaste flowers and butterflies, should I separate them and just decorate them on site?? I have read about the cupcake container, would that lock in the moisture of the cupcake if I place them there as soon as I finish icing them?? thanks so much in advance for all the help!!

16 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 17

I would just get some cupcake containers ( my cake deco. store sells them for about $.15 each) holds 6 cupcakes and has a snap shut lid and definitely seals in moisture ...........wait to put the decorations on til you get there....gumpaste will soften if left in contact with the buttercream and if you seal the cupcakes it willl soften the gumpaste even more.

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 17

Yes! I use the same plastic containers and they are great. Though I wish I could find them in a set of 12 instead of 6.

gin2ham Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 17

KHalstead and Kima920,

thank you so much for the inputs. Do you think the buttercream would be ok for 5 hrs until we get to the place?

How about the cupcake courier? would that work? I am just afraid that my cupcake would be a disaster due to the driving situation.

Thanks in advance!!

Kima920 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 17

I have shipped cupcakes in the plastic containers to New Jersey (I live in PA) with no problems at all. They should be fine just driving. As for the buttercream I would stay away from cream cheese but if you keep the car cool it should be fine. Just make sure you make the buttercream a little thicker than you normally would so it doesn't run and make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before you start to pipe. I have a large customer base in Jersey so sometimes I have to drive things down and I make them up before hand and drive down (3 hours) and not had a problem.

gin2ham Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 17

Kima920, thanks for the infos.

Just a quick question though, to make the buttercream thicker I just need to add more sugar right??? and how do you store your gumpaste? do i just put them inside a box? but shold keep the lid open?

Kima920 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 17

To thicken up your BC don't use more sugar because it will just make it sweeter, rather use cornstarch like you would in cooking. It will thicken it up without adding any additional flavor to the BC. If you accidently make it to thick to pipe just add a little water. It's not an exact science, I eye ball it so its still thin enough to pipe through with some effort but thick enough where it will stay on the cupcake without having to freeze them first. I typically will put gumpaste or fondant accent in a separate box lined with bubble wrap or the soft foam that you can buy in craft stores. I make sure they are securely in the box that way they won't move too much from driving and get there in one piece.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 17

your cupcakes will be fine in those containers for up to 5 days and remain nice and fresh (make sure you don't have a perishable filling or icing) if it's just regular buttercream!

I would put your gumpaste flowers, etc. inside a shirt box lined with foam or bubble wrap. It's ok to put a lid on it as long as it's not "airtight" and just make sure the pieces can't bump eachother or they'll break one another.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 17

I got the idea from a CC member.... and made a cupcake carrier by hot gluing plastic drinking cups, cut down to and 1 1/2" height, to a full sheet board, space far enought to allow for fuller frosting. about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen per board......The whole thing fits into a full cake box...and off I go....

gin2ham Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 17

Thank you all soooo much for all the wonderful ideas and suggestions!!! being a newbie, it is really very helpful! I will try to make the cupcake on thurs put in the airtight container (in room temp? woud that be ok?) and ice them on fri night. off we go on sat! does that sound right?

btw, is this the conatiner you guys are referring to?

http://www.plasticcontainercity.com/Cupcake-Containers-Muffins.htm

Thanks so much!!!

gin2ham Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 17

terrylee,

is it easy to take the cupcakes out?

terrylee Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #12 of 17

Gin2ham....Yes it is easy...you cut the cups down to about an inch or so....and they come out great.....you can ice them the night before or early that AM and they will be fine....even if the box isn't air tight... I will try and post a picture of what I did.....hope this helps..

terrylee Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #13 of 17

Here it is...hope it helps...
LL

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:14am
post #14 of 17

That cut cup carrier is the bomb! Looks like I'm going to heat up my glue gun this weekend and make myself a C.C.Carrier any crafter would be proud of. icon_biggrin.gif

gin2ham Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:02pm
post #15 of 17

terrylee, it is truly awesome! when its in the car, do u put like the non-slip liner on the bottom?

terrylee Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 9:12pm
post #16 of 17

I you put the boards in a full sheet box, you don't have to put one in the box....but under the box ......yes....I put all my cakes on non-slip liners....they are the best think ever.....Good luck and post pictures of your cupcakes......Terry

gin2ham Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:14pm
post #17 of 17

thanks for all the advices!! I will report back after the event!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%